Let’s stay united & support our frontline workers so we can overcome this challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Let’s stay united & support our frontline workers so we can overcome this challenge

Tsai Ing-wen (President of the Republic of China) tweeted:

"Amid a limited global supply of vaccines, I'm grateful to our diplomats for working tirelessly under challenging circumstances to ensure the health of all #Taiwanese. Let’s stay united & support our frontline workers so we can overcome this challenge."

Source

Does "so we can overcome..." sound natural enough to you? It seems to me that it should have been "so that we can overcome...." I am not absolutely sure.

Plus, "overcome this challenge" does sound natural to me as well. It should be "meet this challenge" or "overcome this crisis." I am not very sure. What is your opinion?

(To simplify the question, assume that Twitter offers ample space for each tweet).

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Let’s stay united & support our frontline workers so we can overcome this challen

Yes, it's fine without that.

I'm personally not keen on the collocation of overcome this challenge but then I'm fussy with things like that.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Let’s stay united & support our frontline workers so we can overcome this challen

Does "so we can overcome..." sound natural enough to you?

Yes.

It seems to me that it should have been "so that we can overcome...." I am not absolutely sure.

That's fine, too.

Plus, "overcome this challenge" does not sound natural to me, either.

It's fine.

It should be "meet this challenge" or "overcome this crisis." I am not very sure. What is your opinion?

You're making a good point. Those would be a little more accurate. But I don't think many people would find "overcome the challege" unnatural.

(To simplify the question, assume that Twitter offers ample space for each tweet).

Tsai Ing-wen (President of the Republic of China) tweeted:

Amid a limited global supply of vaccines, I'm grateful to our diplomats for working tirelessly under challenging circumstances to ensure the health of all #Taiwanese. Let’s stay united and support our frontline workers so we can overcome this challenge.

Obviously, I have a bigger problem with people who us an ampersand when "and" is called for.

I also hate the "tirelessly" cliche. People who work around the clock are certainly very tired. It's sort of insulting, if you think about it. Like, I'd do the work, too, but it would make me too darn tired. So I'll let those tireless people do it!

Using "challenge" and "challenging" that close together is also lazy. I think you should be the president!
That's what I know.

(Cross-post.)

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Both "so that" and "so" are used to mean the same thing.

We are more used to saying "face challenges" and "overcome problems" but they are often used interchangeably.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

GoodTaste, please note that I moved the quote and source to the top of the thread. Please do that yourself in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.