Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello, this is a formal letter where I am a buyer at a mail order company, and I've decided to reduce the size of next year's catalogue.

Dear Mr. Xxx,

I am writing regarding the annually order for the catalogue of my business.

Ensemble my associates, we have finalised our report of buying policies and we have decided to reduce the size of next year's collection.
As a result, we would like to buy the following items:

Item Article no Quantity
Scanner Sony A 1122 200
Printer Asus A 1456 200
Printer Asus B 1457 100

This, of course, means cancelling other types of scanners and printers this year.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused, but we have to fit at the new technology market's conditions.
We confirm the 1st November as the date for delivery.

We hope this will not have any consequence on our collaboration and that we will continue it in the future.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Is it ok to use "catalogue" and "collection" like synonyms in this context?

I don't agree with the book that says to apologise for the cancellation first, then confirm the date for the order and then mention work together in the future; it is not better do the second thing and then apologise and mention work together?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear Mr. Xxx,

I am writing regarding the annual order for the catalogue of my business.

My associates and I have finalised our report of buying policies and we have decided to reduce the size of next year's collection.

Item Article no Quantity
Scanner Sony A 1122 200
Printer Asus A 1456 200
Printer Asus B 1457 100

This, of course, means cancelling other types of scanners and printers next year.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused, but we have to keep pace with new technology and market conditions.
We confirm the 1st of November as the date for delivery.

We hope this will not have any adverse consequence on our collaboration and that we will continue to do business in the future.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, this is a formal letter where I am a buyer at a mail order company, and I've decided to reduce the size of next year's catalogue.

Say:

I am a buyer for a mail order company, and I have decided to reduce the size of next year's catalogue.

I suspect that "catalogue" might not be the right word there.

Dear Mr. Xxx,

I am writing regarding the annual order for the catalogue of my business.

Ensemble my associates, we have finalised our report of buying policies and we have decided to reduce the size of next year's collection.

That is not the right way to use the word ensemble.

Item Article no Quantity
Scanner Sony A 1122 200
Printer Asus A 1456 200
Printer Asus B 1457 100

This, of course, means cancelling other types of scanners and printers this year.

If you have previously ordered scanners and printers you might want to cancel those orders, but you cannot cancel the scanners and printers themselves.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused, but we have to fit at the new technology market's conditions.

You can apologize if you want to, but clarity is more important. Please note that I do not understand the last part of that sentence. (The whole sentence is unnecessary.)

We hope this will not have any consequence on our collaboration and that we will continue it in the future.

Do not use that sentence.
:roll:

Is it ok to use "catalogue" and "collection" like synonyms in this context?

No, it's not a good idea. (You can go to dictionary.com to see for yourself.)

I don't agree with the book that says to apologise for the cancellation first, then confirm the date for the order and then mention work together in the future; it is not better do the second thing and then apologise and mention work together?

Keep it simple. Clarity is the most important thing. The most important thing is that the person receiving your letter understand what you are saying.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you the buyer at a mail order company? If not, why did you choose this topic to write about?

Status
Not open for further replies.