Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi, can anyone help me to get what he is saying?
(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTs88zrpfXs)
Below, I made the script of what I am curious about what's said and the part that I am not sure about is marked in bold and the part that I can't hear is replaced with question marks in bold. I really appreciate if you correct me if anywhere else of the script sounds wrong to you. Thank you in advance.

3:48 It's so crazy. It's 15 years. Vh1 storyteller has been on... it's 15 years since I put out first record 'Urban Hanging Suite'
3:49 Some of y'all (were) 15. Some of y'all weren't even... Some of y'all was somewhere's somebody else's... some inside somebody before you...
4:08 Anyways look. I'm gonna be really nervous. I'm just gonna warn you. This is not my forte. I'm not used to speaking. I'm more comfortable behind music.
4:16 So just work with me tonight? ??? ??? brother. If I ??? my words... if I use some weird consonants or something just correct me you know.
4:41 And you get this thing. ??? sexy right now.
4:46 ????
4:49 ??? this sexy
4:51 Cause? I see all these high heels on... I see the most ??? going on.
5:16 (singing with improvisation) is that you?
10:08 It feels? good to you? I'm a little insecure. You gotta keep letting me know.
10:26 Were? they serving cocktails on the line?
11:16 Music is not trying to be a formula everytime. It's not a conveyor belt. It's expression of a? moment in time.
11:26 When that record came out it was awesome because all of you said "ef o y'all I'm buying it anyway damn it."
11:39 And it meant so much to be able to be creative to not have to fit into the box to be able to stretch to grow to show people that so music is clearly multifaceted and that comes from many places and we don't all? have to be stereotypical derogatory versions of ourselves to keep people excited about ourselves. So thank you so much for letting me make something left for a second. You know I appreciated that. So this is truly dedicated to those who drown deeply with me.
15:30 I had no idea would be as good?
15:35 I got you too ma (What does it mean by that?)

17:11 Sometimes you find yourself battling between the thing that pulls you creatively and the thing that pulls you emotionally in a person you know.
17:20 The biggest challange is finding a balance between the? two and finding you know having music that? you do sort of balance out that real life relationship because in many ways you find yourself like you kind of you have two girlfriends kind of you know...
17:43 And a lot of musician might think that the actual woman in their life is the mistress and the music is really the wife.
17:52 And it's a little difficult for a woman to deal with that. And you hope that maybe down the road you can have both you know.

42:11 Cause you don't know y'all you know sometimes people say nasty things you want to be good for people?.
42:16 You know who? ?? haters hate us when they hate. So you know you got to make sure you stray? when you comeback.
42:55 Y'all might get ? tonight. You get too close?
43:01 This song is dedicated to all the ??? bringing this whole thing back to fruition full circle from 'ascension' to...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, can anyone help me to get what he is saying?
(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTs88zrpfXs)
Below, I have made [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a transcript of [STRIKE]what[/STRIKE] the parts I am curious about. [STRIKE]what's said and[/STRIKE] The parts that I am not sure about [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are marked in bold and the parts that I can't hear [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are replaced with question marks in bold. I would really appreciate it if you would correct [STRIKE]me if anywhere else of the script sounds[/STRIKE] anything I have got wrong. [STRIKE]to you.[/STRIKE] Thank you in advance.

3:48 It's so crazy. It's 15 years that Vh1 Storytellers has been on and it's 15 years since I put out the first record 'Urban Hanging Suite'
3:49 Some of y'all was 15. Some of y'all weren't even... Some of y'all was somewhere's ... in somebody else's... something, inside somebody before you...
4:08 Anyways look. I'm gonna be really nervous. I'm just gonna warn you. This is not my forte. I'm not used to speaking. I'm more comfortable behind music.
4:16 So just work with me tonight? Do you wanna know something, little brother? If I fumble my words... if I use some weird consonants or something just correct me you know.
4:41 And you get this thing. I'm gonna make this sexy right now.
4:46 Let's lower these lights
4:49 Let's make this sexy
4:51 Cause I see all these high heels on... I see the moisturisation going on.
5:16 (singing with improvisation) Is it you?
10:08 It feels good to you? I'm a little insecure. You gotta keep letting me know.
10:26 Were they serving cocktails on the line?
11:16 Music is not trying to be a formula every time. It's not a conveyor belt. It's an expression of a moment in time.
11:26 When that record came out it was awesome because all of you said "eff o y'all I'm buying it anyway damn it."
11:39 And it meant so much to be able to be creative, to not have to fit into the box to be able to stretch, to grow, to show people that soul music is clearly multifaceted and that comes from many places and we don't all have to be stereotypical derogatory versions of ourselves to keep people excited about ourselves. So thank you so much for letting me make something left for a second. You know I appreciate that. So this is truly dedicated to those who drown deeply with me.
15:30 I had no idea it would be this good.
Member of audience says "I got you".
15:35 I got you too ma (What does it mean by that?) It's just a response to the audience member's shout.

17:11 Sometimes you find yourself battling between the thing that pulls you creatively and the thing that pulls you emotionally in a person you know.
17:20 The biggest challenge is finding a balance between the two and finding, you know, having music that you do sort of balance out that real life relationship because in many ways you find yourself, like, kinda [STRIKE]you kind of[/STRIKE] you have two girlfriends kind of you know...
17:43 And a lot of musicians might think that the actual woman in their life is the mistress and the music's really the wife.
17:52 And it's a little difficult for a woman to deal with that. And you hope that maybe down the road you can have both, you know.

42:11 Cause you don't know y'all, you know, sometimes people say nasty things. You want to be good for people.
42:16 You know who? ?? haters are haters when they hate. So you know you got to make sure you stray when you come back.
42:55 Y'all might get arrested tonight, you get too close.
43:01 This song is dedicated to all y'all for bringing this whole thing back to fruition full circle from 'ascension' to...

See above. With the exception of the question marks at 42:16, which I couldn't make out, what is now written above is what I heard.

Bebop7

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you so much, emsr2d2. I have two more questions on the transcript you fulfilled.

4:41 And you get this thing. I'm gonna make this sexy right now.
4:46 Let's lower these lights
4:49 Let's make this sexy
4:51 Cause I see all these high heels on... I see the moisturisation going on.
What does 'make this sexy' and 'see the moisturisation going on' mean in the context? I don't still get why he said these.

"eff o y'all I'm buying it anyway damn it."
I googled 'eff o' and it seems like a slang for the f word. Is it correct?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much, emsr2d2. I have two more questions on the transcript you fulfilled.

What does 'make this sexy' and 'see the moisturisation going on' mean in the context? I don't still get why he said these.
'make this sexy' refers the atmosphere (mood) and the song he's going to sing. Previously the setting was light talk and introductions, but he's changing to mood to something more romantic and sensual.

'Moisturisation (or moisturization in AmE spelling) could refer to applying moisturizing creams or lotion, (or perhaps even lip moisturizer?), as part of the routine for dressing up.

He might also have made one of the mistakes he apologized for in advance where he said he might mispronounce things or say some nonsense words. I suspect he might be trying to refer to sweaty skin (presumably brought on by the romantic/sexy atmosphere). There are of course cruder references for getting moist, but I don't think that's what he's referring to.

I googled 'eff o' and it seems like a slang for the f word. Is it correct?

Yes. 'Eff o (or oh)' is an alternate spelling of "F-off".

At 42:13-19 I heard "You don't know ya'll - sometimes people just say nasty things. You wanna be good to people. People - you know people's, it's hard, haters are haters when they hate.

Bebop7

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks for the explanation. Now I got it. (By the way, is there any alternative (and cool) expression for 'I got it' or 'understood' which is all I've got in my English memory? :roll:)

Status
Not open for further replies.