Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Yang didn’t exactly ignore his mother’s hints to invite Qingmei over for lunch or dinner when she talked about cooking something special. He smiled, licked his lips, and said, "That's great, Mom”, or something similar.

Gan saw this behaviour a few times and decided to inject some common sense into the situation. “Yang, enough is enough. Stop torturing your mother, and invite the girl over for fifth-day dinner.”

Yang hadn’t realised how what he was doing might be affecting his mother, but his father’s words were like an epiphany. “Sorry, Dad. It never occurred to me, I’ll do as you ask. I’m meeting her tomorrow.”

His father said, “No, Son. You'll do it today, now. You'll go over to her place and invite her over formally by asking her parents permission.”

Yang thought of a few argumentative replies but spoke none of them. “Yes, Father. I'll go now.”

Gan looked at his son and shook his head. “No, Son. Clean yourself up and change your clothes first.”

Gan rarely spoke so harshly, so when he did, people took notice. Yang was no exception.

Before leaving, Yang talked to his mother to let her know what he was doing. His mother, her face lighting up like sunshine, told him to wait a moment, and went into her workroom. When she came back, she carried a beautiful hand-embroidered tablecloth she had made, and handed it to him. "It's customary to take a gift, Son. Now, off you go."

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Three passions have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.

I have some comments on your signature before going into the narrative.
I don't think pity can be considered a passion. How about compassion?
I prefer driven to governed.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Three passions have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.

I have some comments on your signature before going into the narrative.
I don't think pity can be considered a passion. How about compassion?
I prefer driven to governed.

Sorry. It's just a quote from Bertrand Russell. I love it so much. It's exactly the same thing I pursue in my whole life. I live on this philosophy.

“Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the very verge of despair.”

Bertrand Russell

********************************************************************************************************

20210101.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.