Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The sentences are given as an explanation of how I understand this expression. Are the parts marked by asterisks correct?

1. "Life is a game." I understand it to mean that people need to know what game it is, to know how to *live this life*.
2.This will allow us to *live our life easier* and *better.
3.*We are the builders of our life. All that we have good or bad is a result of our actions. We are the only ones who are guilty of our problems. Sometimes people can't influence on events and situations in their life.

I would try to correct the third passage and say:
3.."We are creators of our reality. Everything that we have, good or bad is the result of our actions. We are the only ones who are resposible for our problems. Sometimes people can't influence the events and situations in their life."

Last edited:
1. "Life is a game." I understand it to mean that people need to know what a game [1] it is, [2] and to know how to live this life.
[1]: I am guessing that's what you meant to write.
[2]: Without the "and", you had a comma splice error.
2. This will allow us to live our life easier more easily [3] and better.
[3]: This is a common mistake for learners. Here, we need adverb to modify the verb "live". Note that "easier" is only an adjective, so it doesn't work. However, "better" can be an adverb, so it works.
3. We are the builders of our life. All that we have, good or bad, is a the result of our actions.

We are the only ones who are guilty of our problems.
That's no good. See below.
Sometimes, people can't influence on [4] events and situations in their life.
[4]: Note that as verbs, words like "influence", "impact", "affect" are not followed by a preposition; but when they are nouns, they are followed by prepositions.
People can influence their children. [No "on"]
Parents have an influence on their children. [Use "on"]

I would will try to correct the third passage and say:
3.."We are creators of our reality. Everything that we have, good or bad, is the result of our actions. We are the only ones who are responsible for our problems. Sometimes people can't influence the events and situations in their life."

Life is not like other games. For example, most games don't involve mistakes that are fatal.

I don't know why you think "our" is singular.

[3]: This is a common mistake for learners. Here, we need adverb to modify the verb "live". Note that "easier" is only an adjective, so it doesn't work. However, "better" can be an adverb, so it works.

[4]: Note that as verbs, words like "influence", "impact", "affect" are not followed by a preposition; but when they are nouns, they are followed by prepositions.
So either "builders" or "creators work". Right? I wasn't sure about the builders.

Yes, both can work.

Yes, both can work.
But

Regarding the previous correction: "Life is a game." I understand it to mean that people need to know what a game [1] it is, [2] and to know how to live this life."

I mean "Life is a game." "I understand it to mean that people need to know what kind of game it is, and to know how to live this life."

I added "what kind of game it is" to make it clearer what I mean. Does it still sound wrong?

Why we are "creators of reality" is used without the article, while "builders" is used with the article?
1. We are creators of our reality/life.
2. We are the builders of our life.

I added "what kind of game it is" to make it clearer what I mean. Does it still sound wrong?
It's okay now.
Why we are is "creators of reality" is used without the article, while "builders" is used with the article?
1. We are creators of our reality/life.
2. We are the builders of our life.
The definite article should be used in both. I didn't spot that one.

"Life is a game" is a statement often heard but seldom explained.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back