Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Should I use the plural of "life" in my example?
"A doctor can't risk his patients' lives." Or "people's lives."

Should I use the plural of "life" in my example?
"A doctor can't risk his patients' lives." Or "people's lives."
These are grammatically correct:

A doctor can't risk his patients' lives.
A doctor can't risk his patient's life

They aren't factually correct, though. Can you see why?

These are grammatically correct:

A doctor can't risk his patients' lives.
A doctor can't risk his patient's life

They aren't factually correct, though. Can you see why?

Maybe because sometimes doctors do take a risk.

Maybe because sometimes doctors do take a risk.
Yes. More precisely, contrary to what the sentences say, it's entirely possible for them to do so. You may have meant to use shouldn't.

Does 'his' sound fine to natives? I mean 'doctor' is a masculine noun in Russian, which is not the case in English. I quite often see English native speakers use 'they/their' in such cases (general statements).

Last edited:
Yes. More precisely, contrary to what the sentences say, it's entirely possible for them to do so. You may have meant to use shouldn't.

"Musn't" is probably even better.

Does 'his' sound [STRIKE]fine[/STRIKE] okay to natives? I mean 'doctor' is a masculine noun in Russian, which is not the case in English. I quite often see English native speakers use 'they/their' in such cases (general statements).
Gender-neutral terminology is preferred in most settings nowadays. "His" used to be the neuter as well as the masculine pronoun in (very careful) English, but it always carried a gender implication that's no longer appropriate (if it ever was). You can easily fix these sentences without resorting to "they" and "their", which are widely used but not universally accepted: Doctors shouldn't risk their patients' lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back