Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Here's a direct question: Where does he live?
And here's an indirect question: Do you know where he lives?
Can we call the following "a split indirect question/noun clause"?
Where do you think he lives?

P.S. It's my made-up term.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can call it whatever you like. Are you asking whether you should use it with your students?

Mori

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are you asking whether you should use it with your students?
No, I'm just checking my own understanding of the structure and wonder how you analyze it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't know what a grammarian would call this structure. As a teacher, I'd imaginatively class this kind of question as 'questions with "do you think" in the middle' or 'questions embedding "do you think"' or something like that. We teachers are not too concerned about precision of terminology, as long as the learners understand the structure and use.

Do you need help with the understanding the structure?

Last edited:

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Here's a direct question: Where does he live?
And here's an indirect question: Do you know where he lives?
Can we call the following "a split indirect question/noun clause"?
Where do you think he lives?

P.S. It's my made-up term.

If you really want to know the grammar of your examples, then this may help:

[1] Do you know [where he lives]?

[2] Wherei do you think [he lives ___i ]?

The bracketed element in [1] is a subordinate interrogative clause (embedded question) functioning straightforwardly as complement of "know". The meaning is: "Do you know the answer to the question 'Where does he live?'"

[2] is more tricky. The interrogative word "where" is a prenuclear element co-indexed to the gap '___' in the bracketed subordinate clause where it functions as complement of the verb "lives".

You also mentioned the term 'noun clause'. I would recommend dropping the term. It is better to base the classification of finite subordinate clauses on their internal form rather than on spurious analogies with the parts of speech.

Last edited:

Mori

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

The bracketed element in [1] is a subordinate interrogative clause (embedded question) functioning straightforwardly as complement of "know". The meaning is: "Do you know the answer to the question 'Where does he live?'"

[2] is more tricky. The interrogative word "where" is a prenuclear element co-indexed to the gap '___' in the bracketed subordinate clause where it functions as complement of the verb "lives".

You also mentioned the term 'noun clause'. I would advise you to drop that term. It is better to base the classification of finite subordinate clauses on their internal form rather than on spurious analogies with the parts of speech.
Useful explanation! 🙏

Mori

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

You also mentioned the term 'noun clause'. I would recommend dropping the term. It is better to base the classification of finite subordinate clauses on their internal form rather than on spurious analogies with the parts of speech.
Is the following a similar case, and basically a grammatical structure? Where, I wonder, he lives.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Where, I wonder, does he live?

There is also the following interesting structure:

Where, do you think, does he live?

I'd have a hard time accounting for the syntax of that structure, but it definitely exists, at least in somewhat rhetorical English. "Think" could easily be replaced with "suppose": Where, do you suppose, does he live?

Also, for what its worth, in Southern dialect here in the U.S., I believe it is possible to say, e.g., Where does he live, reckon?, which seems somewhat similar. But I live in California, where "reckon" is seldom heard.

Mori, I'm just advancing the discussion a little with a curious tangent. I'm not recommending that you actually use any of these variants.