Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is it natural to say 'I live on the river' if I do not live literally 'on the river' (just close to the river)? Or should only 'by the river' (and other synonymous collocations) be used in this case?

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Think of it this way @englishhobby: on the river is short for on the bank of the river.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would interpret "on the river" as either living on a boat or in a property where you could moor or launch a boat. Simply living in house facing a riverside road would be "by" or "overlooking" the river.

On the other hand living "on" a canal would only mean living on a boat.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Excuse me, may I have a moment of your time? The preposition "on" in English often means "in contact with", so "to live on the river" typically means "to live by the river". However, more than a few Japanese beginners tend to misconstrue "on" as "on top of". That's why they might not fully grasp the use of "on" in a sentence like "a fly is on the ceiling". So, my question is, do speakers of other languages (not English, of course) also make these kinds of mistakes in understanding?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Excuse me, may I have a moment of your time? The preposition "on" in English often means "in contact with"

Yes.

so "to live on the river" typically means "to live by the river".

It can mean both living on the surface of the water, say on a riverboat, and living by the river on the land.

However, more than a few Japanese beginners tend to misconstrue "on" as "on top of". That's why they might not fully grasp the use of "on" in a sentence like "a fly is on the ceiling".

Yes, that's very true, and it's not just Japanese who do this.

So, my question is, do speakers of other languages (not English, of course) also make these kinds of mistakes in understanding?

Oh, with prepositions absolutely yes! Misuse of prepositions is a major area of difficulty for learners of all cultures.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Regarding the basic sense of 'on' in 'on the river' when it refers to living on land by a river, the schema is this:

The river is represented as a line, where any point is 'on' the line. Even if your house is quite a way from the water, you'd say you were living on the river if it were close enough to be basically represented that way.

Similar examples:

on the border
on the coast/sea/lake
on the equator
on the High Street
on the edge of the New Forest

In all of these examples, you still have the basic sense of contact but it's important to understand that contact is understood schematically (conceptually), not physically.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An example would be me saying I'm on South Boulevard even though you have to walk quite a ways to get to my apartment. (You go up the hill and then you go down the hill. )