Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I prefer nothing at all.

When I am in a country where there is a 'sir' word for equals, then I accept, and use, it*. As a speaker of BrE, it is natural for me not to be used to being addressed as 'sir', and not to use that form of address myself.

*The exception to this was the United States. Although I accept intellectually that 'sir' is a natural and polite form of address there, I still feel uncomfortable because the language is English and the word is 'sir'

Is this because "sir" in BrE is only found in master/servant relationships?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I get addressed as "sir" in some shops.
That is perhaps because traditionally the person who served in a shop was socially inferior to the patron s/he served.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the actual "master/servant" relationship might be a little too strong (although many years ago, that was true). However, I think the words "serve/service" are rather important. Even now, a person who works in a shop is said to "serve customers" even though it's not the same kind of meaning as the way a "servant" would "serve" their master.

The usual situations in which one is addressed as "Sir/Madam" (in the UK, at least) would be within any of the service industries, so uttered by a shop assistant, a hairdresser, a waiter/waitress, a check-in assistant, a train guard etc etc.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The usual situations in which one is addressed as "Sir/Madam" (in the UK, at least) would be within any of the service industries, so uttered by a shop assistant, a hairdresser, a waiter/waitress, a check-in assistant, a train guard etc etc.
Also by police and customs and immigration officers, who have a special way of saying it to indicate that they are definitely not serving you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also by police and customs and immigration officers, who have a special way of saying it to indicate that they are definitely not serving you.

As an ex long-serving member of one of those three professions (I think I'll keep quiet about which one!), I did not address anyone as Sir or Madam. In fact, I recall being told as part of our initial training not to do so. If I did not know someone's name, I used "Good morning/afternoon/evening" and if it was necessary to speak to them after I knew their name, then it was "So, Mr/Ms ..."

On a side note, it was the shift from my profession being part of law enforcement to part of the service industry which destroyed the job and led me to quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.