Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
I have found a passage in a manual regarding the assembly of a sofa. Does this passage sound natural and correct to native English speakers? Or does this part make the impression that it has been translated?

“Afterwards the back cushions need to be tenderly clapped around the whole surface. Then pull the outside end of the back cushion with one hand while patting the cushion with the other hand towards the outside. Then continue to the armrests in the same way. Make the above procedures periodically to maintain the furniture's appearance and look.”

To me, the use of “make” (bold) sounds unEnglish. I rather would have used “repeat”, to make it more native-like. What is your take on this?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The use of "tenderly clapped" and "make ... procedures" suggest to me that it was either written by a non-native speaker or someone used a translation site.

By the way, it's "give the impression", not "make the impression".

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Even disregarding the unnatural expressions emsr mentioned above, just like the other thread about this sofa manual, it strikes me as just too verbose for a user manual.
It's just a user manual, not a chat over coffee. It also sounds like someone confused it with a romance novel, and I find it a bit unclear exactly what it wants you to do.

My guess at a more natural set of instructions:

Afterwards, fluff the backrest cushions thoroughly. Gripping one edge, firmly pat the cushion working towards the opposite edge. Repeat this process with the armrest cushions. Maintain the sofa's shape and appearance by periodically fluffing all cushions in this manner.

Note that neither the original instructions nor my version really address the seat cushions, just the backrest and armrest.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The original instructions are both unclear and weird at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.