[Vocabulary] make up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley42430

Member Type
Student or Learner
There are many meanings about make up. Please give me some examples or I would misunderstand.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are many meanings about make up. Please give me some examples or I would misunderstand.

First, tell us the different meanings that you already know and how you would use them! :-D

ashley42430

Member Type
Student or Learner
1.It means girls use makeup.
2.copy, fake
3.consist of

Actually, I didn't know all make up meanings, and therefor I need some body give me explain and examples in English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. It means girls use makeup. (Noun) Yes. Make-up is another word for cosmetics. Note that it normally has a hyphen. Also remember that some boys/men use make-up too! :-D

2. copy, fake - (Verb) Not really "copy". It's more like "to invent". I made up a story to explain why I didn't go to work = I invented a story

3. consist of - (Verb) This is normally used in the passive "to be made up of..." For example "The team will be made up of 5 men and 4 women".

Actually, I [STRIKE]didn't[/STRIKE] don't know all [STRIKE]make up[/STRIKE] the meanings of "make up", and therefore I need [STRIKE]some body [/STRIKE] somebody to give me [STRIKE]explain[/STRIKE] explanations and examples in English.

See above. More meanings:

to make up = to become friends again after having an argument. "I had an argument with my boyfriend but it's OK, I think we'll make up!" There is a lovely phrase that is sometimes used with two children who have had a silly argument. Their parent/teacher might say "Come on, you two. Kiss and make up!" It means that they want the two children to forget the argument and be friends again.

to make up = to add an amount (of money, for example) so that the total reaches a specific amount. For example: "The bill is €100, but we only have €90 on the table. Don't worry. I'll make up the difference." This would mean that I am offering to add the extra €10 required so that we have €100 in total.

to make up = to put together/to construct. "I have made up a bag of clothes ready to take them to the charity shop." "I've been to Ikea and bought a bookshelf, which I need to make up tonight."

to make up = to apply make-up/cosmetics. "I'll be ready to go out as soon as I've made up". Note we would be more likely to say "....as soon as I've done my make-up".

to make up = to put in order/to tidy. You will see on the little signs that you hang on hotel room doors "Please make up my room". This is a request to the chambermaids, explaining that you would like them to come into the room and make the bed, clean the bathroom etc.

to make up for = to compensate. "I was very mean to a friend the other day, but I'm going to make up for it by taking her out for dinner tonight."

I'm sure someone else will come up with some more definitions.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good afternoon, Ashley.

(1) If you are a student, you need to know this use of "make up" that is

used in American schools:

STUDENT: There is a big examination tomorrow, but I am very sick. I

cannot come to school tomorrow.

TEACHER: Please don't worry about it. You can MAKE UP the test / You

can MAKE it UP when you return. Your health is more important

than any test.

Make up a test = to take it another day instead of on the scheduled day.

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.