Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I was using an App to chat with a group of people there. One can use the App to chat with people privately or establish a group to start a group chat. I found an interesting person in a group. I wanted to chat with her privately. When I added her, the system said "She doesn't want anyone to add her". So I had to ask her in that group "May I add you?"

I wonder if the italic question is natural.

The question was asked earlier on WR, but I improved the context a lot to make it clearer.

Last edited:
May I add you for private chat?

Prepare to be rebuffed. She may even reply 'What part of "She doesn't want anyone to add her" don't you understand?'

Prepare to be rebuffed. She may even reply 'What part of "She doesn't want anyone to add her" don't you understand?'

She finally added me and we've been chatting recently.

She doesn't want anyone to add her because the system automatically changed the "adding friend" to "not adding anyone".

I wonder if my question "May I add you" is natural. Or can I say something better?

I strongly recommend that you don't ask to add her. She has clearly set her profile up to make it clear that she doesn't want to be added to private/group chats so you should respect her decision.

The question was asked earlier on WR, but I improved the context a lot to make it clearer.
This is the link to that thread, which you should have given.

The content seems substantially the same to me.

Yes, May I add you? is fine in this context.

She doesn't want anyone to add her because the system automatically changed the "adding friend" to "not adding anyone".

I'm not sure what you mean by "automatically" there. I'm fairly sure she set it up that way. Anyhow, congratulations on being successful.
:up:

I strongly recommend that you don't ask to add her. She has clearly set her profile up to make it clear that she doesn't want to be added to private/group chats so you should respect her decision.

There is no harm in trying, is there?

You pay your money, and you take your chances.
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back