Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Tennis is even faster. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by Australian player Samuel Groth at 163 mph.

Source: San Jose Mecury News, by Lisa M.Drieger, 2013.

In this sentence, could I say ".....serve by an Australian player Samuel Groth at 163 mph." or ".....serve by the Australian player Samuel Groth at 163 mph?"

And is "who is named" omitted before Samuel Groth? Could I leave named?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you use "an", you need to put commas around "Samuel Groth" to show that it is additional information (over and above the fact that it was simply by an Australian player).

Nothing has been omitted in the original. If you added "who is named" or "named" after "by Australian player", the sentence would be grammatically incorrect.

Please note that I have moved the source information to directly under the quote. This is where it should always appear.

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If you use "an", you need to put commas around "Samuel Groth" to show that it is additional information (over and above the fact that it was simply by an Australian player).

Nothing has been omitted in the original. If you added "who is named" or "named" after "by Australian player", the sentence would be grammatically incorrect.

Please note that I have moved the source information to directly under the quote. This is where it should always appear.
Do you mean "...... a serve by Australian player who is named Samuel Groth at 163 mph." is wrong?

And could I say "a serve by the Australian player Samuel Groth at 163 mph?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean "... a serve by Australian player who is named Samuel Groth at 163 mph no full stop here" is wrong?
Yes, it's wrong. It would only work with "an Australian player who is called". Note that "is called" is more natural, in this context, than "is named".
An ellipsis (the dots at the start) consists of just three dots, not five.
Don't include the full stop at the end of a quoted sentence if the sentence outside the quotation marks continues after the quote.
And could I say "a serve by the Australian player Samuel Groth at 163 mph"?
You could.
You put the question mark in the wrong place. It isn't part of the quote so it should go after the quotation marks. It's a continuation of the question "Could I say ...?"

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes, it's wrong. It would only work with "an Australian player who is called". Note that "is called" is more natural, in this context, than "is named".
An ellipsis (the dots at the start) consists of just three dots, not five.
Don't include the full stop at the end of a quoted sentence if the sentence outside the quotation marks continues after the quote.

You could.
You put the question mark in the wrong place. It isn't part of the quote so it should go after the quotation marks. It's a continuation of the question "Could I say ...?"
1. Whether I use an or the, I need to use double quotation marks on the name.
2. If I use quotation marks on the name, I could still use “called”.

Am I correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Whether I use "an" or "the", I need to use double quotation marks on around the name.
2. If I use quotation marks on around the name, I could still use “called”.

Am I correct?
Why would you use quotation marks around the person's name? We don't do that, unless we're making it clear that it's something like a nickname.

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Why would you use quotation marks around the person's name? We don't do that, unless we're making it clear that it's something like a nickname.
Sorry. I listed all the conditions of this sentence that I think is correct:

1. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by an Australian player "Samuel Groth" at 163 mph.
2. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by the Australian player "Samuel Groth" at 163 mph.
3. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by an Australian player called "Samuel Groth" at 163 mph.
4. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by the Australian player called "Samuel Groth" at 163 mph.
5. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by an Australian player called Samuel Groth at 163 mph. (without commas)
6. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by the Australian player called Samuel Groth at 163 mph. (without commas)

Are they all correct?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry. I listed all the conditions of this sentence that I think ARE correct:

1. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by an Australian player "Samuel Groth" at 163 mph.
2. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by the Australian player "Samuel Groth" at 163 mph.
3. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by an Australian player called "Samuel Groth" at 163 mph.
4. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by the Australian player called "Samuel Groth" at 163 mph.
5. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by an Australian player called Samuel Groth at 163 mph. (without commas)
6. Last May, courtside radar guns measured a serve by the Australian player called Samuel Groth at 163 mph. (without commas)

Are they all correct?
They look good to me.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@neb090 I didn't mean that I would use any of them. You asked about the grammar.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@neb090 I still have no idea why you're putting quotation marks around the player's name. I already told you not to do that.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Are they all correct?

What's the point of all this? The original sentence, with no article, is the one you should focus on.

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
@neb090 I still have no idea why you're putting quotation marks around the player's name. I already told you not to do that.
Sorry. emsr2dd,

Did I misunderstand what you said in #2? You said "If you use "an", you need to put commas around "Samuel Groth" to show that it is additional information (over and above the fact that it was simply by an Australian player).

That's why I think I should use quotation marks on the name.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry. emsr2dd,

Did I misunderstand what you said in #2? You said "If you use "an", you need to put commas around "Samuel Groth" to show that it is additional information (over and above the fact that it was simply by an Australian player).

That's why I think I should use quotation marks on the name.
Don't you know the difference between commas and quotation marks?

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Don't you know the difference between commas and quotation marks?
OK. So my questions 1~6 in #7 should omit quotation marks " " around the player's name.

Is that right?