Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
what is the meaning of "met" here? i indicated it with red dot in picture.

source: Dishonored video game

photo_2024-05-22_11-15-40.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It means countered by or offset by.
Thank you so much, is there any reference or dictionary containing this meaning? i want to check it for further questions.

What is the meaning of "met" here? I have indicated it with a red dot in the picture.

Source: "Dishonored" (video game)
Thank you so much. Is there any reference book or dictionary containing this meaning? I want to check it for further questions.
Please note my corrections in the quote boxes above. You must start every new sentence with a capital letter and always capitalise the first person singular pronoun "I". You need to work on your use of articles too.
I'm not sure what you mean by the underlined part in the second quote box. You can't ask a dictionary questions.

I'm not sure what you mean by the underlined part in the second quote box. You can't ask a dictionary questions.

I want to know the reference as I ask in previous sentence. when I say "reference" i mean "dictionary name that cointaning the offset meaning".

And you ask Why I want a reference? I answer because I may need to buy that specific dictionary to check it's definitions so I don't have to bother you dear grammar corrector and other users here.

At no point did I ask you why you "want a reference".

is there any reference or dictionary containing this meaning?
I'm sure there is, somewhere out there.
Bookmark the following site, which has a collection of dictionary websites:
www.onelook.com

I had a quick look, and the last entry in the following link is close:

I want to know the reference as I ask in previous sentence. when I say "reference" i mean "dictionary name that cointaning the offset meaning".

And you ask Why I want a reference? I answer because I may need to buy that specific dictionary to check ITS definitions so I don't have to bother you dear grammar corrector and other users here.
There are plenty of online dictionaries. There should be no need to buy one. (I used to have a Random House Collegiate Dictionary that was pretty handy.)

I'm sure there is, somewhere out there.
Bookmark the following site, which has a collection of dictionary websites:
www.onelook.com

I had a quick look, and the last entry in the following link is close:
There are plenty of online dictionaries. There should be no need to buy one. (I used to have a Random House Collegiate Dictionary that was pretty handy.)

Thank you, It was a great help, I've checked all best online dictionaries I know (about 7) and couldn't find "offset", I will check your sites for closest meaning.

Edit: I checked your sites, I can't thank enough ❤️

Last edited:
Thank you. It was a great help. I've checked all best online dictionaries I know (about 7) and couldn't find "offset". I will check your sites for the closest meaning.
You're welcome. Note the punctuation corrections.
Edit: I checked your sites, and I can't thank you enough. ❤️
There's no need to write anything to thanks us here on the forum. Clicking Thank/Like is enough.:)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back