[Vocabulary] military defense? military spending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Holland spends a larger percentage of its gross national product on defending its coasts from rising seas
than the United States does on military defense.

:?:Question: Here, is military defense different from military spending?
In my eye, military spending > military defense, because USA;-) certainly spend
much money on military research and military attack (ig. attack to Piracy:-D in Somalia) not only military defense.
Is my opinion right?

Dear teachers, sincere thanks!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I assume the writer found out exactly how much the US spends specifically on military defense and has chosen to use that figure to compare with Holland's spending.

However, in the UK, the money spent on all the armed forces, regardless of whether they are defending, attacking, invading or assisting is called "the defence budget".

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I assume the writer found out exactly how much the US spends specifically on military defense and has chosen to use that figure to compare with Holland's spending.

However, in the UK, the money spent on all the armed forces, regardless of whether they are defending, attacking, invading or assisting is called "the defence budget".
I agree with you! I suddenly think that the money the US spends on military research or military attack
is probably not declared.
Additionally, the God is a little unfair:) because if the money was used to improve the Dutch People's living standards,
they will live better!

Last edited:

PeterValk

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please note that I'm not a teacher nor a native English speaker (but I am Dutch by birth)

"Holland spends a larger percentage of its gross national product on defending its coasts from rising seas
than the United States does on military defense."

Grammatically this sentence seems to be correct.
Since you've already used "spends" there's no need to repeat that using "military spending".
The US spend .....on military defense.

That said, I would like to point out that if The Netherlands were to spend less defending its coast from rising seas, the Dutch people would not be living better. They'd be swimming.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Holland spends a larger percentage of its gross national product on defending its coasts from rising seas
than the United States does on military defense.

:?:Question: Here, is military defense different from military spending?
In my eye, military spending > military defense, because USA;-) certainly spend
much money on military research and military attack (ig. attack to Piracy:-D in Somalia) not only military defense.
Is my opinion right?

Dear teachers, sincere thanks!

I don't think one can separate military defense spending from military offense spending. That is a matter of perspective. Much of the US military budget is spent on foreign-based operations. One could say those foreign bases are primarily there to protect the country/region. One could also say those bases are there to give the military the capability to launch attacks in any region. Are operations against Somalian piracy defensive or offensive operations? Again, it depends on one's perspective.

The other issue is the Netherlands. In some respects the Netherlands has the same problem that New Orleans has. When a large percentage of the land is at or below sea level, flooding is a constant threat. If a large part of the US were like New Orleans, we would be forced to spend a higher percentage of our assets on flood control.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
But you can say "military defence" if you wish to contrast it with other forms of coastal defence, like the dykes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think military defence can be considered a part of coastal defences.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That said, I would like to point out that if The Netherlands were to spend less defending its coast from rising seas, the Dutch people would not be living better. They'd be swimming.
Hehe, you are humourous! :-DI know it, so I used the word if.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think one can separate military defense spending from military offense spending. That is a matter of perspective.
Big thanks! I have never considered military defense so deeply!
I ever really only had a naive opinion that it's called military defense when Chinese army fights in China,
and it's called military offense when the army fights out of China. We have never accepted any military education.
Some Chinese will think neoteric Chinese goverments are too impuissant to invaders. Now Chinese Foreign Ministry is often considered as a :-Drepeater.
In my eye, any government must have the ability to protect his nationals, otherwise the government is very bad and terrible. Of course, I hope that Chinese government is a not bad government.

The other issue is the Netherlands. In some respects the Netherlands has the same problem that New Orleans has. When a large percentage of the land is at or below sea level, flooding is a constant threat. If a large part of the US were like New Orleans, we would be forced to spend a higher percentage of our assets on flood control.
Thank you for telling me the geographic knowledge about New Orleans! I originally thought all lands of America were above sea level.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think we need to be careful that this thread does not become political comment on various countries' military actions. Let's stick to the grammar. ;-)

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think military defence can be considered a part of coastal defences.
Yes! In my understanding, if American troops attck the piracy of Somalia to protect American merchant ships,
the action ought to be considered as military defence, and it is obviously not coastal defense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Coastal defence" is almost exclusively used to mean the defence of the coast of a country against natural occurrences.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US we have a Department of Defense. So it is all called "defense spending" if it involves the military or the military's jurisdiction at all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Once upon a time, the Ministry of Defence in the UK was called the Ministry of War.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.