Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the sentence "more tomorrows pitching their way back-to-back", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

Until she appeared in the movie theater, I’d been more or less resigned to an evening by myself. I was even able to stare straight ahead and not be too scared of the bleakness awaiting me as soon as I walked out into the empty street. It was not going to be so terrible, I’d been telling myself, just as it wasn’t so terrible that she had found yet another cutting way to remind me she had a life outside of mine, other friends, otherpeoples—not terrible that a day that started poorly should end no less poorly, not terrible being so thoroughly alone now and watching the hours stretch into tomorrow, and other tomorrows, and more tomorrows pitching their way back-to-back like blocks of ice crick-cracking down the slow Hudson till they’d leave all land behind and head to the Atlantic and out toward the glacier of the Arctic Pole. Not terrible that everyone was wrong, wrong as my life, as this day, as everything can seem so thoroughly muddled and disjointed and yet so easily tolerable.

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, Fifth Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. It is narrated by a nameless male protagonist. He meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Four days after the party, the protagonist unexpectedly meets Clara at the movie theatre.

I wonder what the underlined expression means.
My wildest guess is that the tomorrows threw/hurled (=pitched) the route they are about to take...
But then "back-to-back" remains mysterious, so I just wanted to ask you. o_O

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Day follows day follows day. What happens? You just keep getting more of them.

It's no wonder that you get lost. The writer seems to get lost too.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My wildest guess is that the tomorrows threw/hurled (=pitched) the route they are about to take...
But then "back-to-back" remains mysterious, so I just wanted to ask you. o_O
No, "pitch" here means slowly moving downwards. Like the blocks of ice are flowing through the Hudson river, crick-cracking along the way. "Back-to-back" indicates the "tomorrows" continuously follow one after another.

Last edited:

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tarheel and @Ostap,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
So "pitch" means to move downwards! Probably it would have this meaning in the OED:

e. intransitive. Of a person, animal, or vehicle: to move or progress like a pitching ship; to stagger or lurch, esp. with erratic forward movement.

I can imagine the scene where tomorrows are moving downwards like a lurching/pitching ship, while their backs are adjacent to each other.

Probably "pitch their way" is a variation of "make their way" which means to go through something and advance, I guess.

I truly appreciate your help. :)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's time to say this once again, @Coffee Break: don't take this book as an example of good English style. The author's prose is unusual to put it mildly. It could even be described as idiosyncratic. The novel Eight White Nights belongs to the genre called literary fiction. Plain and simple words will serve better in almost any circumstances.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Coffee Break Apparently, the story takes place on a different planet. (Not Earth.)
😀

Status
Not open for further replies.