Most of the people I know have motor cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
1- Most of the people I know have motor cars.
2- Most of the people I know have their own motor cars.
3- Most of the people I know own motor cars.

Which one is more appropriate?

They're all the same. But simply use "cars," not "motor cars."

Yes. "motor car" ("motorcar") is a very old-fashioned word, at least in my dialect (AmE).

Yes. "motor car" ("motorcar") is a very old-fashioned word, at least in my dialect (AmE).

So is it, in BrE, I think.

Even though the total number of cars you're describing is more than one, I'd expect "Most people I know have a car", "Most people I know have their own car" and "Most people I know own a car".

If you say "Most people I know own cars", it sounds as if most of the people you know each own more than one car. Most people own just one car.

So is it, in BrE, I think.

It is- I heard it used when I was a child, but I don't know anyone who uses it now.

(See 'Motoring Terms' by Iona Bentley and Hiram Azerati.)

Do most people in the US not own their cars outright then?

No, they don't. Some people have older cars which they own outright. Others may have a loan for 5-6 years and then use the car until it dies. But many go from car to car always carrying a loan of some sort.

Many car dealers in America are reluctant to even mention the cash price of a car. They only want to talk about monthly payments. Correctly, they see the financing of car purchases as a source of profit for themselves. They have even coined a term for those who owe more on their current car than it is worth. Such people are said to be under water. Being under water is not a disqualification for buying a new car. Dealers take pride in being able to arrange car loans for literally anybody.

No, they don't. Some people have older cars which they own outright. Others may have a loan for 5-6 years and then use the car until it dies. But many go from car to car always carrying a loan of some sort.

We have the same car financing problem in the UK.

I had no idea! I've had 7 cars and I've owned them all outright. I refuse to take financing on anything (if you don't count my mortgage!) Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've never bought a new car, only second-hand. I just save up the money and then buy it for cash, usually trading in my previous car.

We have the same car financing problem in the UK.

I don't think I know anybody here in the UK who has financing on their car. I found it quite interesting to learn this was commonplace in the US.

Correctly, they see the financing of car purchases as a source of profit for themselves. They have even coined a term for those who owe more on their current car than it is worth. Such people are said to be under water.

"Negative equity" is the term, and it can be factored into your new loan.

I'm pretty sure our economy would come to a screeching halt if people couldn't buy large purchases on credit.

In the UK today, something like 90% of car purchases are done through loans. I can't swear to the exact figure, but was shocked when I saw it on the Guardian website; I cannot find the article in search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back