Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
How is it to say you move along a driveway using the verb drive in British and American English? Does "to drive through a driveway" work?

You would go up or down the driveway. "Up" usually being towards the house, unless the geography makes that nonsensical.

For instance, on a flat driveway, you would go "down" to the road. But mine is a hill and it is clearly "up" to get to the road.

You would go up or down the driveway. "Up" usually being towards the house, unless the geography makes that nonsensical.

For instance, on a flat driveway, you would go "down" to the road. But mine is a hill and it is clearly "up" to get to the road.
Thank you. I know the difference between driving up and down but I would like to use the more neutral meaning like moving along without indicating the direction (up or down). Is the meaning of "drive along" different from "drive through" as it is written out in the Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 545.423. Crossing Property

Current as of April 14, 2021 | Updated by FindLaw Staff

(a) An operator may not cross a sidewalk or drive through a driveway, parking lot, or business or residential entrance without stopping the vehicle.

(b) An operator may not cross or drive in or on a sidewalk, driveway, parking lot, or business or residential entrance at an intersection to turn right or left from one highway to another highway
"?

Is the meaning of "drive along" different from "drive through" as it is written out in the Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 545.423. Crossing Property

Current as of April 14, 2021 | Updated by FindLaw Staff

(a) An operator may not cross a sidewalk or drive through a driveway, parking lot, or business or residential entrance without stopping the vehicle.
Yes. The operator may drive through (= across) a driveway, etc. That is different from driving up/down/among anything.

"In" or "on" would be the most natural to describe driving along a driveway without referring to a particular direction.

The law you cite is particularly concerned with driving through some other surface in order to avoid a red light or some other traffic control at an intersection. The (a) clause also is sharing a verb with the other types of surfaces in the list. The point is to prohibit the use for through traffic. Not someone using the business's parking lot or driveway for its intended purpose, but using it as a way to get though.

Forget about "driveway." Look at "parking lot." They're not prohibiting people from driving in a parking lot. They are prohibiting them from driving through the parking lot (to avoid the normal traffic patterns).

My driveway is a dead end. It has one terminus on the road. It is impossible to drive through my driveway.

Back