MPP encourages Big Pharmas to voluntarily cut deals that allow generic manufacturers to produce and sell a company’s drugs or vaccines at steep discou

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Each of the treatments, Pfizer’s combination of a new antiviral, nirmatrelvir, with an old one, and Merck’s molnupiravir, require 5 days of pills, which the U.S. government has purchased for $530 and $712 per treatment course, respectively. That’s far too expensive for much of the world, but both companies joined the Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) for their patented treatments. A nonprofit set up in 2010, MPP encourages Big Pharmas to voluntarily cut deals that allow generic manufacturers to produce and sell a company’s drugs or vaccines at steep discounts in agreed on regions of the world. “Everyone at the time said this will never happen, this is a crazy idea,” says attorney Ellen ’t Hoen, who helped establish MPP and remains on its expert advisory group.

Source: Science

Once a ‘crazy idea,’ patent-pooling nonprofit will help bring COVID-19 pills to world’s poor​

It seems to me that the "that" here should have been "to". Because the logic is that Big Pharmas voluntarily cut deals so that generic manufacturers can produce and sell a company’s drugs or vaccines at steep discounts in agreed on regions of the world; that structure of "cut deals that allow generic manufacturers to produce and sell..." is exactly the opposite of this. I am absolutely sure.

Do you that the "that" should have been "to" (or use a new structure like "so that generic manufacturers will be allowed to produce..."?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. The original is right.

The MPP encourages Big Pharma to cut deals.
What sort of deals do they encourage?
Deals that allow generic manufacturers to produce and sell a company's drugs or vaccines at steep discounts.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The original is fine.

MPP encourages Big Pharmas to voluntarily cut some deals.
What type of deals?
Deals that allow generic manufacturers to produce ...

Crossposted. I've let my version stand because it's interesting to see how similar my thoughts were to those of emsr2d2.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So MPP encourages Big Pharmas NOT to help generic manufacturers?
I think I might have misunderstood the meaning of "at steep discounts" - does it mean "at steep discounts (of qualities)"? I thought it rferred to "at steep discounts (of prices)". Now I am not sure after reading your replies).

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Where do you get that idea from?

The original says "deals that allow generic manufacturers to produce and sell a company’s drugs or vaccines at steep discount" - MPP wants Big Pharmas to cut such deals - it appears tio me (or my understanding of the grammar) that such deals help generic companies and MPP discourages such help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure which bit of it you don't understand but you're definitely not understanding it correctly.

The MPP wants Big Pharma to make deals with generic manufacturers. The deal they want is for Big Pharma to allow generic manufacturers to make their (Big Pharma's) products, and then sell them at low prices to countries that can't afford to pay the prices that Big Pharma charge.

Are you perhaps misunderstanding "cut deals"? "Cut" doesn't mean "remove". It means "make". If you cut a deal with someone, you make a deal with them.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That's it! I misunderstood "cut deals" as "reduce the amount of deals".

Status
Not open for further replies.