Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I use "much" in a negative sentence and should it be "the ability" or "an ability"?

"Patience and procrastination have a lot of differences. Procrastination is not a character trait. It doesn't bring much benefit to a person. It can't be trained, unlike patience. Patience can be developed in oneself. Patience is the ability to wait for something important."

Context: I am talking about the difference between procrastination and patience.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could argue that procrastination is a character trait. It's the tendency to put things off

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You could argue that procrastination is a character trait. It's the tendency to put things off
I agree with you. Could you tell me if the sentences are correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you agree with Tarheel, then "Procrastination is not a character trait" cannot be correct.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If you agree with Tarheel, then "Procrastination is not a character trait" cannot be correct.
I mean the rest of the text.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I mean "it can't be trained" , my use of "much benefit to", "developed in oneself" and the rest of the the sentences too.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I use "much" in a negative sentence and should it be "the ability" or "an ability"?

"Patience and procrastination have a lot of differences are very/completely different. Procrastination is not a character trait . It doesn't bring much benefit to a person that isn't beneficial. It can't be trained, unlike patience. People can't train themselves to be procrastinators. Patience, however, can be developed. in oneself. Patience is the ability to calmly/happily wait for something." important."

Context: I am talking about the difference between procrastination and patience. That's not context. We can clearly see what you're talking about from the text. Context is something like "Next week, I have to give a talk on procrastination. I want to compare people who procrastinate with people who are patient. I'm planning to say the following. Does it work?"
See above. You have a tendency to use "verb + noun" instead of a (more natural) adjective phrase.

have a lot of differences > are very different
doesn't bring much benefit > isn't beneficial

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Procrastination is a negative trait whereas patience is positive. Negative traits do not need training; one doesn't need to be trained to be lazy. Patience on the other hand, need to be trained and developed, like other qualities such as diligence and industriousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.