Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
He was wearing a maroon cashmere muffler which had hiked up on his neck, giving him next to no protection against the cold.

The sentence is by J.D. Salinger and from the novel Fanny and Zoe.

I thought that mufflers were wrapped around the neck. I really can't see what he means. It had all gathered up right under his chin?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm slightly surprised Rover's not familiar with it - only because we're both BrE speakers. I use it frequently.

Hike your trousers up. They look ridiculous round your knees!
My top hikes up if I wear my rucksack on both shoulders.

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you all very much,

Actually, I just thought hike had been used metaphorically. I didn't have a problem with that!

What I don't get is how the muffler managed to go up so far on the guy's neck so as not to give him any protection against the cold. I just can't imagine the scene. A scarf around the neck should be pretty wide.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's all scrunched up into a bundle, instead of lying nice and flat like a scarf should. When clothing hikes up (aka 'rides up'), it no longer sits on the body like it should.

For example, I semi-recently bought some new underwear which instead of hanging loosely from my waist like they should, rode up into uncomfortable folds forming bands or rings around my upper thigh. I don't know if it was the material, or the way they're sewn, or what the issue was but I had to stop wearing them and go buy some other brand that weren't constantly hiking up my thigh.

I was constantly trying to pull them back down, which is nigh on impossible to do discretely.