Murali raj's untiring efforts and passionate moves ...

Kumarc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Context: "Murali raj's untiring efforts and passionate moves have made him the doyen of the South Indian real estate diaspora. From a humble background, with his strategic moves, he climbed the corporate ladder."

Please check the highlighted and underlined phrase.(I am looking to provide a subject for and comment on the Context.)

Can I give the subject-"A remarkable journey and achievements of Murali raj" for the above context?
Can I comment on the above context-"A remarkable journey and achievements of Murali raj"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I googled "Murali Raj's untiring efforts" and didn't find anything.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Context: "Murali raj's untiring efforts and passionate moves have made him the doyen of the South Indian real estate diaspora. From a humble background, with his strategic moves, he climbed the corporate ladder."

Please check the highlighted and underlined phrase.(I am looking to provide a subject for and comment on the Context.)

Can I give the subject-"A remarkable journey and achievements of Murali raj" for the above context?
Can I comment on the above context-"A remarkable journey and achievements of Murali raj"?
Two things. One, I'm having trouble understanding what the question is. Two, underlining is a form of highlighting. (There's also italics, and you might include scare quotes.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We have no idea what you're asking, or what you're trying to do.

I am looking to provide a subject for and comment on the Context.

What do you mean by "provide a subject"? What is a 'subject'? Why do you want to comment on the context? When you say "the Context", are you referring to the example sentence? Why have you changed the word his to Murali raj's?

Kumarc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Two things. One, I'm having trouble understanding what the question is. Two, underlining is a form of highlighting. (There's also italics, and you might include scare quotes.)
Can we use this topic-"A remarkable journey and achievements of Murali raj" for the objective of the sentence?

Topic: A remarkable journey and achievements of Murali raj (Is this the correct topic/title for the sentence below?)

Sentence- "Murali raj's untiring efforts and passionate moves have made him the doyen of the South Indian real estate diaspora. From a humble background, with his strategic moves, he climbed the corporate ladder."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If "Murali raj" is intended to be the name of a person then raj should be written Raj because all proper nouns are capitalized.

Kumarc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We have no idea what you're asking, or what you're trying to do.
What do you mean by "provide a subject"?
I actually implied to create a "topic" or "title"(My English learning purpose-"A remarkable journey and achievements of Murali Raj") for the sentence/context. In the original sentence, I used "(I am looking to provide a subject for and comment on the Context.)". "provide a subject" might be wrong(Apologies for the confusion)

What is a 'subject'?
I thought that "subject"(The main idea or focus of the sentence is "A remarkable journey and achievements of Murali Raj") is as same as "topic" or "title" of the sentence

Why do you want to comment on the context?
I'm currently practicing English writing, which involves providing topic/title context or comments on sentences, and I've also requested you to check the correctness of the comments or titles I've provided.

When you say "the Context", are you referring to the example sentence?
Yes, I took the reference from the website to learn.

Why have you changed the word his to Murali raj's?
I modified the word for my practice to enhance my English language skills.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I actually implied to create a "topic" or "title"(My English learning purpose-"A remarkable journey and achievements of Murali Raj") for the sentence/context.

Don't do that. There's no need nor reason to create a title or a heading or to make a summary of an extract pulled arbitrarily from a text.

In the original sentence, I used "(I am looking to provide a subject for and comment on the Context.)". "provide a subject" might be wrong(Apologies for the confusion)

We're still not sure what you mean by 'subject/topic/title'. What I think you're trying to do is summarise the content of these sentences, but there's no point doing that.

I thought that "subject"(The main idea or focus of the sentence is "A remarkable journey and achievements of Murali Raj") is as same as "topic" or "title" of the sentence

No. First of all, you have two sentences. Each sentence has its own main idea. These sentences are part of a wider context, and it's this wider context that you should focus on, not two random sentences from it.

I'm currently practicing English writing, which involves providing topic/title context or comments on sentences

Who told you this?

Let me help you: Stop whatever it is you're trying to do. Focus at the right level, which is on the whole paragraph:

Adityaram is a first-generation entrepreneur and self-built business tycoon. His untiring efforts and passionate moves have made him the doyen of the South Indian real estate diaspora. From a humble background, with his strategic moves, he climbed the corporate ladder. And with his risk-taking ability, he has carved a niche space for him. A perfectionist and a dedicated real estate expert, he has shown a clear winning spirit and brilliant business acumen.

Think about what this paragraph is and what it is doing. Where is it written? What is the purpose of the paragraph? Who wrote it? Who is going to read it and why? Now answer this question: What is the content of the paragraph as a whole? Answer this question in one or two sentences and post it below.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I looked it up just to be sure. Maybe they use "diaspora" differently there. I certainly don't see how you can have a real estate diaspora. Real estate is land. It doesn't go anywhere.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Have you any reason to doubt it?

Bambook

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Have you any reason to doubt it?
Tarheel made me doubt it. But it looks I ned to doubt "diaspora" usege but not "Real estate"
I looked it up just to be sure. Maybe they use "diaspora" differently there. I certainly don't see how you can have a real estate diaspora. Real estate is land. It doesn't go anywhere.

-I understand "diaspora" as a group of people engaged in similar biz. So for me "Real estate diaspora" make sense.
-But if I look up the same dictionary for "diaspora" . It gives "a group of people who spread from one original country to other countries, or the act of spreading in this way:" https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/diaspora. Than no wander Tarheel can not put Real estate and diaspora together.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Tarheel made me doubt it. But it looks I ned to doubt "diaspora" usege but not "Real estate"

-I understand "diaspora" as a group of people engaged in similar biz.

But you know from looking it up in a dictionary that is wrong. The word diaspora has nothing to do with what business people are engaged in.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Like Tarheel, I struggle with what "the South Indian real estate diaspora" means.

Does it just mean that there's a group of people in the real estate business who are spread out across South India? If so, I'm going to say that diaspora is the wrong word there. Or could it possibly mean that there's a group of people in the real estate business who were all originally from South India but who have moved to different parts of the country, or even the world? If so, then diaspora makes sense, but I don't think that's likely what it means. Perhaps it means something else entirely, but I can't see it.

I wonder what you all think?

Reactions: 5jj

Bambook

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Like Tarheel, I struggle with what "the South Indian real estate diaspora" means.
1. To me "diaspora" means a group of people engaged in same business activity. Moreover diaspora do not need to be formed of people moving or spreading somewhere. They can just stay where they were. So "the South Indian real estate diaspora" - why not.
2. I have just checked Rus-Rus dictionary, and oops, It gives same meaning as your Cambridge dictionary. Strange. So it means that in here (central Russia) such understanding of "diaspora" as mine also exists. Though we have no diasporas here and so the meaning can be altered.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. To me "diaspora" means a group of people engaged in same business activity. Moreover diaspora do not need to be formed of people moving or spreading somewhere.

Are you talking about the word diaspora as it is used in Russian? Or in English?

In English, as in its root Greek, it relates to a group of people who have have dispersed, often around the world, from a place of origin. Think of Jewish people, for example, who once lived together in their homeland but then moved from their homeland to different regions around the world. The sense that you're using seems wildly different from this, and is completely unfamiliar to me, but seems to fit perfectly with this particular context.