Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can't "condition" be used for your physical or body state? Is "my condition" wrong? Do you have to say "don't feel well"?

ex)a:Why do you look so tired?
b: My condition isn't very good today.(X)
I don't feel very well today.(0)

Can't "condition" be used for your physical or body state?

NOT A TEACHER

From the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:

con‧di‧tion 1 S2 W1 / kənˈdɪʃ ə n / noun

1 situation conditions [ plural ] the situation in which people live or work, especially the physical things that affect the quality of their lives : Conditions in the prison were atrocious.
living/working conditions an attempt to improve living conditions for the working classes
Poor working conditions lead to demoralized and unproductive employees.

in appalling/overcrowded/dreadful etc conditions These children work 70 metres below ground in appalling conditions.

In May, staff went on strike, demanding better pay and conditions .

2 weather conditions [ plural ] the weather at a particular time, especially when you are considering how this affects people : The conditions during the first half of the match were appalling.
cold/windy/icy etc conditions In cold conditions you’ll need a sleeping bag with a hood.

the worsening weather conditions

3 things affecting situation conditions [ plural ] all the things that affect the way something happens under ... conditions Under normal conditions, people will usually do what requires least effort.
Under these conditions, the fire can be rapidly controlled.

Profits increased by £1.5m, despite the difficult economic conditions.
The combination of rain and greasy surfaces made driving conditions treacherous.

4 state [ singular, uncountable ] the state that something is in, especially how good or bad its physical state is in (a) good/poor/excellent/terrible etc condition The car has been well maintained and is in excellent condition.
The house was in a terrible condition.

condition of The condition of nuclear plants is a matter of great concern.

5 health/fitness [ singular, uncountable ] how healthy or fit you are : She is being treated at Walton Hospital, where her condition is described as ‘satisfactory’.
in (a) critical/stable/satisfactory condition One of the victims was in a critical condition after suffering severe burns.

physical/mental condition If you are uncertain about your physical condition, check with your doctor before trying these exercises.

‘I’m so out of condition (= unfit ) ,’ she panted.
an athlete in peak condition
in no condition to do something (= too drunk, ill, or upset to be able to do something ) I was in no condition to cope with a train journey.
Mark can’t possibly drive home in that condition (= when he is so drunk, ill, or upset ) .
See definition 5.

So do you mean my example with "condition" works?
No.

The wording in the dictionary examples is different from yours. There is nothing grammatically incorrect about "My condition isn't very good today"; it's just not what we'd normally say. The most natural response to "Why do you look so tired?" is "I don't feel very well today". If you had been doing some physical activity, you might say, "I’mout of condition" (= unfit ).

A doctor might say, in talking about a patient, "His condition isn't very good today". The doctor is suggesting that he is concerned about the patient's worsening state of health, or absence of (expected) improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back