Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I've tried to use "cross" in my sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. As I offered Bob my condolences, a look of pain crossed his face. "She was such a wonderful woman. I'll never get over her death," he said.
2. The fugitives crossed the river in a small boat by night to avoid being spotted by the police.
3. Bob watched the runners cross the marathon finish line and felt gloomy. If the injury had not prevented him from training, he would have been one of them, crossing the lane with his arms raised.
4. Maria sat on a bench crocheting and chatting with her friend. As a young man trudged by, his body covered in tattoos and piercing, both woman looked at each other and crossed themselves.
5. Paul and George graduated in 2006, but they paths didn't cross until 10 years later when they met on a holiday in Spain.
6. When Tom was in prison, it was his habit to cross off the date on the calendar every night.
7. Maria ate up her chocolate alone. It never crossed her mind to offer some to Joan, who was too proud to ask for it.
8. Someone had painted a large black cross on the door of the prosecutors' home, which prompted the police to give him protection around the clock.
9. The authorities have become so tired of passersby who violate traffic rules that they authorised the police to give hefty fines on the spot for anyone who crosses the street on red.
10. Bea was cross at Hannah for not inviting her to her birthday party. She wouldn't rest until she got revenge on her. Therefore, she decided to throw her own party and invite everyone she knew but Hannah.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They look good, but there are a few typos and other minor errors:

#3 lane
#4 piercings/woman
#5 they
#6 on holiday
#9 Use have authorised to match have become

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
9. to give fines - to impose fines or to issue summons?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Where I come from, a summons is issued (which states the traffic offence) before a fine is paid. I understand it is also called a ticket in some countries. Anyhow, a motorist does not pay a fine to an enforcement officer without sort of documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.