English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone!

I teach English and often use Wordwall during my lessons. So yesterday working out the verb to say we saw this phrase: My mum and dad ... "Good morning!" and needed to choose between say or says. My student chose the first options, i.e. say. But that wasn't correct. Shouldn't we coordinate two subjects with a verb and get plural? Or do we have to look at the last subject only?

I can't attach the screenshot, it's getting too large. The phrase I'm talking about is the last.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, everyone!

I teach English and often use Wordwall during my lessons.

So Yesterday, working out on the verb to "say", we saw this phrase: the sentence "My mum and dad ... "Good morning!" and needed to choose between "say" or and "says". My student chose the first options option, i.e. "say", but that wasn't correct.

Shouldn't we coordinate consider the two subjects with a verb and get and use a plural verb no full stop here or do we have to look at the last subject only?
Please note my corrections above.

Do you teach just one student at a time? If so, "My student chose ..." is fine but if you were teaching several people at the same time, use "One of my students chose ...".

Caprilla

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please note my corrections above.

Do you teach just one student at a time? If so, "My student chose ..." is fine but if you were teaching several people at the same time, use "One of my students chose ...".
Thanks for corrections!
You got it right, I teach one student at a time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your/the corrections!
You got it right; I teach one student at a time.
See above. In my opinion, that's the perfect way to teach!