Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My organization is developing a mission statement and having some disagreement on the necessity of the word "to" in a specific application.

One contingent of members believes it is acceptable to say "Enabling our members achieve success" while another group contends we must say "Enabling our members to achieve success". Is the use of the word "to" necessary? If so, is there a rule that specifies this or is it just "good english"?

It was also suggested that we could say "Helping our members achieve success" in order to eliminate the word "to", but if this is the case, what is the difference between "helping" and "enabling" that makes this distinction?

Please help!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Enabling our members to achieve success" seems to be a strange phrase to me. (Are you making it possible for them to achieve success or are you helping them do so?)

btspartan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Enabling our members to achieve success" seems to be a strange phrase to me. (Are you making it possible for them to achieve success or are you helping them do so?)

I don't think it is incorrect to say that we are "making possible or easy" or even more accurately "giving means", both of which are definitions for enable. Empowering might also work, as would helping.

In either case, the original question remains. Is the word "to" necessary when we use enabling? If so, why is it not necessary when we use helping?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Enabling our members achieve success is incorrect. You need to before achieve.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Except for "help" which is a causative verb, you need "to" after "enable" and "empower".
I think the latter two words are stronger. "Empower" is the strongest and is a buzzword in business.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can, in fact, help somebody to do something. (You can also help somebody with something.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Enabling our members to achieve success" is the right way to word the phrase, but it suggests that they wouldn't be able to do it unless somebody made it possible.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
My organization is developing a mission statement and having some disagreement on the necessity of the word "to" in a specific application.

One contingent of members believes it is acceptable to say "Enabling our members achieve success" while another group contends we must say "Enabling our members to achieve success". Is the use of the word "to" necessary? If so, is there a rule that specifies this or is it just "good english"?

It was also suggested that we could say "Helping our members achieve success" in order to eliminate the word "to", but if this is the case, what is the difference between "helping" and "enabling" that makes this distinction?

Please help!
If you use "enable", you must put "to" before "achieve".
If you use "help", the "to" is optional.

In fact, "help" may be unique among all verbs for having this optional "to" property. The only other verb I can think of where "to" is optional is "dare", but only when it is intransitive:

I don't dare to go (OK)
I don't dare go (OK)

but

I dared him to go (OK)
I dared him go (wrong)

As for whether to use "to" after "help", I prefer omitting it unless the sentence is long and complex, in which case including the "to" may clarify its meaning.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In fact, "help" may be unique among all verbs for having this optional "to" property. The only other verb I can think of where "to" is optional is "dare", but only when it is intransitive:

There are other causative verbs: let, make, have, get.
"Dare" does not come under causative verb. It is followed by a noun(pronoun), not another verb.

"Help" is simple, common and unpretentious.
If you can be enabled, you can also be disabled.
"Empower" is kind of pretentious, but is trendy and stands out.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
bubba, thank you for your contribution, but please state that you are not a teacher, in accordance with the forum's Posting Guidelines.

You can put it in your signature line as other members do, to avoid having to write it in each post.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
'Dare' is frequently followed by another verb.

I was referring to bubbha's sentences which were followed by pronouns.

Status
Not open for further replies.