Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Ali is the (smaller ) of the two brother . >>> why don't use smallest because smallest follow the and of

- None of the neighbors offered (their) support >> if i said (his ) is it right ? because none pronoun related to a singular

- Neither Ali nor I (are) = Neither + either[/I] just singular or plural ?

- It was I (who) called + That was Yusef and I (whom) you saw .>>> when can i use who or whom PLEASE ?

- It is ( us - we ) clerks who work hard .what is the proper pronoun and why ? please

- He took the (plate off - plate off of ) the table . what is the right answer and why please ?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please ask one question per thread.

This thread will become very confusing if different people answer different questions, and then others add their comments.

I suggest that you delete your post and start again - one question at a time.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
...and please give your threads more meaningful titles, true_will, such as Ali is the smaller of the two brothers.

Rover

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

Ali is the (smaller ) of the two brother . >>> why don't use smallest because smallest follow the and of

Your thought is incomplete and unclear.

- None of the neighbors offered (their) support >> if i said (his ) is it right ? because none pronoun related to a singular

This is a hard question, because the natural way is "ungrammatical". Most people I know would say "their" without thinking but would feel like you when they wrote it. "None" is singular, mostly, making that, "None of the neighbors offered his support." But look at this: "Almost none of the neighbors offered ____ support." "His" is impossible there. Also, that "their" is really a "singular they", the one we see in "Who left their skateboard in the driveway?" We use it when the sex of the person is unknowable or irrelevant. It has been a natural part of spoken English for forever, but grammarians have been resisting it just as long. People avoid the singular they with "his" (thought by some to be sexist, not by me), "his or her" (thought by some to be absurd), or even "his/her" (abominable).

- Neither Ali nor I (are) = Neither + either[/I] just singular or plural ?

Am. I don't like it, either. I would say "are". English grammar is a street sweeper. We say what we say, and grammar comes along and tries to clean up after us.

- It was I (who) called + That was Yusef and I (whom) you saw .>>> when can i use who or whom PLEASE ?

Only use "whom" right after a preposition, and you won't call attention to yourself. The grammar of "who/m" is difficult, and it means knowing case.

- It is ( us - we ) clerks who work hard .what is the proper pronoun and why ? please

We. It is a predicate nominative. Also, compare "We clerks work hard."

- He took the (plate off - plate off of ) the table . what is the right answer and why please ?

Off. "Of" is superfluous there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.