Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers:
As we know,it'is correct in grammar that neither you nor I am to take up the work.My teacher told us that We can change this sentence into the type of"Neither you are to take up the work nor I am to take up the work".To be honest ,I am somewhat suspicious of the changed version.Based on the primitive sentence,I wonder whether I can change the sentence into this type "You are to take up the work,nor/neither am I".To recap,my major problem is whether the teacher's changed version or my changed version is right or not.Which one or ones is/are right?

Matthew, that is a comma splice.

Thanks for your reply,Mike.I'm an English-learning student and my teacher recommend this website to me.It's my error not to tell the problem clearly.My main problem lies on the sentence of"Neither you are to take up the work nor I am to take up the work".I can't distinguish the part of speech between neither and nor.In this sentence,what's the part of speech of neither and nor?I 'm looking forward to your reply.

Last edited:
Thank you ,Matthew.It's my error not to tell the problem clearly.My main problem lies on the sentence of"Neither you are to take up the work nor I am to take up the work".I doubt whether it is right and I can't distinguish the part of speech between neither and nor.In this sentence,what's the part of speech of neither and nor?

"Neither" and "nor" are conjunctions and they work together.

The house is neither green nor blue. It is white.

'Neither' is a pronoun in 'Neither of us is to take up the work'.

Not a teacher.

Frankie6201, please remember to put a space after every comma, full stop, question mark and exclamation mark. In addition, put a space before opening quotation marks.

Thanks for your advice. I will be careful with it in my future life. You are so warm-hearted that remind me of the details.

Thank you, Mike. It's really kind of you to help me with this problem.

Thanks for your reply ,Matthew. Now, I still have some tiny problem with the sentence "Neither you are able to take up the work nor I am to take the work. " I am not sure of this sentence's correctness. I hope you can tell me whether it is correct. thank you.

I would simply say 'You are unable to take up the work and I am not to take it'.

Not a teacher.

Can someone tell me what "to take up the work" means in the original example?

Thank you, Matthew. My problem has been solved. I am very sorry to respond to you too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back