Never lose heart! What [the] most important is not the result ...

cnjackie88

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Senctence 1: Never lose heart! What most important is not the result but whether you have tried your best.

Senctence 2: Never lose heart! What the most important is not the result but whether you have tried your best.

Which sentence is correct?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Neither.

Never lose heart! What is most important is not the result but whether you have tried your best.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I were you that's one English phrase I would unlearn. Either you do your best or you do not. The "try" is in the effort.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which sentence is correct?

Sentence 1: Never lose heart! What is most important is not the result but whether you have tried your best.
Sentence 2: Never lose heart! What the is most important is not the result but whether you have tried your best.
As you can see above, neither sentence was correct. Piscean gave you the correct version in post #2 too. If you want to use the definite article somewhere, you need to change the wording to "The most important thing is not the result ...".

Note that I have improved your thread title, moved your question to the beginning of your post, and corrected the spelling of "sentence".