never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody.

Make sure that the all ends of the extensions, jibs or braces are securely fixed; never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly.

Does "never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly" mean "never step on the boom or (on) the equipment that/which is to be installed during the crane assembly" or "never place your feet on the boom or (on) the equipment that/which is to be installed during the crane assembly"?

Thank you.

The above-mentioned precautions apply to Terex type crane operation and maintenance manual.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
My reasoning is OK, isn't it?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Could you tell me what is wrong with it?

Here is more context.

25. The lattice elements connected to the boom by means of forks can break if not properly fixed.
Make sure that the all ends of the extensions, jibs or braces are securely fixed; never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly.

Does it help now?

As I said at the outset, all the technical text refers to Terex type crane operation and maintenance manual.

Assuming that 'during its assembly' means during the crane's assembly, the whole sentence in question could be understood as "never step on the boom or (on) the equipment that/which is to be installed during the assembly of the crane".

Please do help me. It is very important to me.

Last edited:

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It is an order: Make sure that the all ends of the extensions, jibs or braces are securely fixed; never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly.

Never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly = don't (you) ever stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly = don't ever stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly.

Do you confirm that 'the equipment to be installed during its assembly' means 'the equipment that/which is to be installed during the crane assembly'?

Thank you.

There are usually a lot of orders and recommendations in an crane operation and maintenance manual.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Please, don't be angry with me. I had to ask about the infinitive structure because they sometimes look similar but mean something different. Besides, although I like English, it is always a second language to me and I may make a mistake.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Try:
Do not impose/place load on the boom during assembly.
"Never" is not a suitable word to use.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That is not the message of the original.

To "impose load" is to cover all situations as in standing, leaning, pulling, pushing, putting things on top, etc. I think just to say "stand" is not inclusive enough.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The instruction was for the person address not to stand there. That's all.

No, there was mention about "step on" and "place the feet on". I think it is meant to be general.

Status
Not open for further replies.