Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello again,

Before clocking in on a weekday, I see a notice on the entrance door that says "Please show/produce your pass without being summoned/called on to do do".

Maybe the other part should read ... without being orderem/commanded to do do" or ... without an order/summoned from a security officer to show such a pass".

What do you think?

You should produce your pass of your own according.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello again,

Before clocking in on a weekday, I [STRIKE]see[/STRIKE] saw a notice on the entrance door that says "Please show/produce your pass without being summoned/called on to do so".

Maybe the other part should read "... without being ordered/commanded to do so" or ... "without an order [STRIKE]/summoned[/STRIKE] from a security officer to show such a pass".

What do you think?

You should produce your pass of your own [STRIKE]according[/STRIKE] accord.

Note my corrections above. What do you mean by "the other part"? There is nothing missing from the sign. It says everything it needs to. Having said that, "summoned" is a poor choice.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think without being asked to do so is also natural.

The phrase is on your own accord.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One further question, Jacek1. Did the sign you saw really say exactly what you posted? I can't imagine anyone putting up a post with "show/produce" and "summoned/called to do". The writers of signs usually choose a phrase before actually putting the sign up.

Status
Not open for further replies.