[General] not interested in finishing the story, any more than...

Status
Not open for further replies.

albert210

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello
Does the bold part mean "I dearly hope you are not interested in finishing the story, as the story is interested in finishing you"?
Is there anyone who can rewrite it in another form?

At this point, the history of the Baudelaire orphans reverts to its sequential format, and if you are interested in finishing the story, you should read the chapters in the order in which they appear, although I dearly hope you are not interested in finishing the story, any more than the story is interested in finishing you.

"The Penultimate Peril," by Daniel Handler

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello
Does the bold part mean "I dearly hope you are not interested in finishing the story, as the story is interested in finishing you"?

No. In that context, "as" would mean "because," which doesn't make sense.

The idiom "any more than" connotes equal concern. I hope you are not more or less interested in finishing the story than the story is interested in finishing you.

At this point, the history of the Baudelaire orphans reverts to its sequential format, and if you are interested in finishing the story, you should read the chapters in the order in which they appear, although I dearly hope you are not interested in finishing the story, any more than the story is interested in finishing you.

"The Penultimate Peril," by Daniel Handler
It sounds like a tongue-in-cheek remark.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I'd say no there isn't, because it's deliberately meant to sound intriguing and unclear. It seems to be the writer is trying to get you interested to know what happens next by warning you that it could be harmful to you in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.