Nowadays marriages have become businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is marriage a countable noun or a uncountable noun? There are many such words that can be both countable or uncountable. It's problematic.

1- Nowadays marriages have become businesses.
2- Nowadays marriage has become a business.

It can be either countable or uncountable, depending on context. As an Indian you have probably run across the phrase or concept of interfaith marriages, for example between a Hindu and a Muslim. But usually marriage is uncountable, as in "Marriage may be performed and recorded either by a religious authority or by the secular state "

Last edited:
Is "marriage" a countable noun or an uncountable noun? There are many such words that can be both countable or and uncountable. It's problematic for me.

1- Nowadays, marriages have become businesses.
2- Nowadays, marriage has become a business.
Note my corrections above.

Mark out the words you're asking about in some way - I have put "marriage" in quotation marks.
Remember that "an" is the correct indefinite article before a vowel sound.
Using "such" suggested that you were talking specifically about words that are like "marriage". That's not what you need to say.
If you use "both", follow it with "and". If you omit "both", use "or".
Make it clear that you find something problematic - don't make it sound like a general truth. It's not a problem for native speakers.
Put a comma after time-related opening words such as "Nowadays", "Yesterday", "Last week" etc.

1- Nowadays marriages have become businesses.
2- Nowadays marriage has become a business.

1- Countable and plural
2- Uncountable and singular

Where did you get these examples? Did you make them up? If so, what exactly do you mean to say?

Last edited:
Did you realise that the other noun in your sentences (business) can also be both countable and uncountable?

1- Countable and plural
2- Uncountable and singular

Where did you get these examples? Did you make them up? If so, what exactly do you mean to say?
Yes, I made them up. I was writing on a topic named 'future of marriage in India'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back