Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I have no intention to glorify “H.H.” No doubt, he is horrible, is is abject, he is a shining example of moral leprosy, a mixture of ferocity and jocularity that betrays supreme misery perhaps, but (he) is not conducive to attractiveness.

From Nabokov's Lolita. Why is it possible to leave out "he", as the author did in the example above. I never know when I can and when I cannot leave out the personal pronoun. Do you leave them out when it's clear what the pronoun would have been?

Are there any rules that govern this principle?

Thank you in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
From Nabokov's Lolita. Why is it possible to leave out "he", as the author did in the example above. I never know when I can and when I cannot leave out the personal pronoun. Do you leave them out when it's clear what the pronoun would have been?

Are there any rules that govern this principle?

Thank you in advance.

The writer has not omitted anything. "He" is not appropriate there.

The fact that he is horrible, abject, an example of moral leprosy, and a mixture of ferocity and jocularity which betrays supreme misery is not conducive to attractiveness.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
The writer has not omitted anything. "He" is not appropriate there.

I think that I've never seen "but" used this way. I have looked up "but" to see if I can find this usage, but I couldn't find it. I understand what this sentence means, after having read your explanantion.

So if I understand correctly, "but" can be used to refer to all that came before? If so, "but" could be replaced by "which", right?

I have no intention to glorify “H.H.” No doubt, he is horrible, is is abject, he is a shining example of moral leprosy, a mixture of ferocity and jocularity that betrays supreme misery perhaps, which is not conducive to attractiveness.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought it was the mixture that was not conducive.

Last edited by a moderator:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know of any "rule" and I agree with your assessment.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I thought it was the mixture that was not conducive.
I agree.

I have no intention to glorify “H.H.” No doubt, he is horrible, he is abject, he is a shining example of moral leprosy, a mixture of ferocity and jocularity that betrays supreme misery perhaps, but (that) is not conducive to attractiveness.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree.

I have no intention to glorify “H.H.” No doubt, he is horrible, he is abject, he is a shining example of moral leprosy, a mixture of ferocity and jocularity that betrays supreme misery perhaps, but (that) is not conducive to attractiveness.

Hmmm. I agree, though I would say that the final "that" refers to the whole section starting with "he is horrible" and going all the way through to "betrays supreme misery".

Status
Not open for further replies.