Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I shone my torch on/onto the slab so that I could read it.

I think it should be 'onto', but I can't find online any 'shine sth onto' examples.

I think you could use either one.

Both work for me in BrE. There might be a minor difference if you have to wiggle your torch to find the stone, though the text doesn't imply this.

onto doesn't work at all for me, as it suggests movement. I don't think that's what you mean.

onto doesn't work at all for me, as it suggests movement. I don't think that's what you mean.

So you disagree with the posters above? What is our final conclusion? Can anybody help?

So you disagree with the posters above? What is our final conclusion? Can anybody help?
You have asked a similar question before.

The answer is usually, as Rover said, native speakers don't always agree.

For some languages, such as French, there is an 'Academy', whose members can decree what is acceptable and what is not. There is no such academy for English. Respected style guides and, sometimes, dictionaries can influence what people say and write, but ultimately the choice of what is acceptable or not is down to what native speakers think. If we don't agree, we don't agree; that's all there is to it. We are free then to say/write what we feel at home with.

This is not to say that we have a free-for-all. We do all agree on most things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another way of looking at it is that 5jj and I are right. :-D

But seriously, why do you want to say onto? Are you trying to make it clear that the torch is moving from another focus position?

But seriously, why do you want to say onto? Are you trying to make it clear that the torch is moving from another focus position?

The thing is, if onto is wrong, then into is wrong as well. And I have already used the 'shone the torch into the room' many times since Tarheel told me it's ok to use either on or onto. So before undertaking the tedious task of going back and replacing it, I need to know for sure whether 'shine into/onto' are acceptable forms or not.

The thing is, if onto is wrong, then into is wrong as well.

No, that doesn't follow.

And I have already used the 'shone the torch into the room' many times since Tarheel told me it's ok to use either on or onto. So before undertaking the tedious task of going back and replacing it, I need to know for sure whether 'shine into/onto' are acceptable forms or not.

Remember that different prepositions have different meanings. The choice of preposition depends on what you mean.

It's perfectly correct to say I shone the torch into the room if that's what you mean. You may want to review your knowledge of the meanings of prepositions.

You missed out the word always. Your modesty will be the death of you. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back