Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I cut my finger 'with paper' or 'on paper'. Which preposition is used before 'paper' in this context?

Neither is natural.

I got a paper cut.

If you really want to use your original, use "on a piece of paper" for an accidental cut and "with a piece of paper" if you did it on purpose (I don't know why you would!)

Neither is natural.

I got a paper cut.

If you really want to use your original, use "on a piece of paper" for an accidental cut and "with a piece of paper" if you did it on purpose (I don't know why you would!)
One of my students asked me this question. I surfed the net a lot but I couldn't find a reliable answer. I think she meant the first situation.

Did your student get a paper cut? (Those hurt!)

I don't say it like that. I say 'Ouch! I've got a paper cut on my finger'.

One of my students asked me this question. I surfed the net a lot but I couldn't find a reliable answer. I think she meant the first situation.
This context should have been given in post #1.

Did your student get a paper cut? (Those hurt!)
They were supposed to talk about accidents and injuries in the speaking class. I told them about this kind of injury. I think they all have got a paper cut. It's really painful!:D

They were supposed to talk about accidents and injuries in the speaking spoken English class. I told them about this kind of injury. I think they have all have got had a paper cut. It's really painful!:D
Note my changes above. If you say "I think they have all got a paper cut" it means they're all suffering from a paper cut right now. That's very unlikely. I think you mean that, at some point in their lives, they have all experienced (had) a paper cut.

Back