Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
According to Cambridge dictionary the two meanings of 'on the go' are 'busy and active' and 'while travelling or not at home.'

1) I carry resistance bands with me while traveling so I can workout no matter where I am.
Can I say I carry resistance bands so I can workout on the go?

2) If a person is very busy and always working can I say the following?
"Dany is always on the go. It's hard to get his appointment.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
According to Cambridge dictionary the two meanings of 'on the go' are 'busy and active' and 'while travelling or not at home.'
Those are two of the meanings. There are more.
1) I carry resistance bands with me while traveling so I can workout no matter where I am.
Can I say I carry resistance bands so I can workout on the go?
It's OK although it does rather sound as if you're going to work out while physically travelling (for example, you're going to use your resistance bands while you're on the bus).
2) If a person is very busy and always working can I say the following?
"Danny is always on the go. It's hard to get his an appointment with him.
That doesn't really work. It doesn't contain the idea that he's specifically very busy at work. It sounds as if his entire life is very busy but that's mostly irrelevant to trying to get an appointment with him. (I assume he's a doctor/dentist/masseur/osteopath/chiropractor/bank manager/lawyer or similar. If not, I don't think "appointment" is necessarily the right word.)

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Those are two of the meanings. There are more.

It's OK although it does rather sound as if you're going to work out while physically travelling (for example, you're going to use your resistance bands while you're on the bus).

That doesn't really work. It doesn't contain the idea that he's specifically very busy at work. It sounds as if his entire life is very busy but that's mostly irrelevant to trying to get an appointment with him. (I assume he's a doctor/dentist/masseur/osteopath/chiropractor/bank manager/lawyer or similar. If not, I don't think "appointment" is necessarily the right word.)
I think I'm better off not using the idiom at all. I don't want to get the wrong message across.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am familiar with the phrase "always on the go". That means to me that they are quite busy although it doesn't necessarily mean they're always working.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I am familiar with the phrase "always on the go". That means to me that they are quite busy although it doesn't necessarily mean they're always working.
I have a friend who doesn't really do anything because he's got a rich father, but always acts like he is the busiest person ever. Can I say 'he acts like he's always on the go even though he isn't'?