Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I think New York is a pretty good choice of places to visit. It is one of the most populous cities in the world, and it has people from everywhere. Also, it’s a clean and civilized city; dogs are not allowed on the streets unleashed, and dog-walkers must pick up their pets’ excrement.

The above paragraph was originally written by me but was proofreading by my late language adviser in 2012. I read some introductions about New York City and wrote that. I have a specific question about that. Is it necessary to use the bold "the" here? And why?

Much appreciated!

Hi! Unnecessary. Just go ahead with your question.

I think New York is a pretty good choice of places to visit. It is one of the most populous cities in the world, and it has people from everywhere is home to people from all over/round the world. Also, it’s a clean and civilized* city; dogs are not allowed on the streets unleashed, and dog-walkers must pick up their pets’ excrement**.

The above paragraph was originally written by me but was proofreading proofread by my late language adviser in 2012. I read some introductions about to/information about New York City and before I wrote that it. I have a specific question about that. Is it necessary to use the bold "the" here no question mark here and why?

Much appreciated! Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by using the "Thanks" icon.
Note my corrections and comments above.

*I'm not keen on the use of "civilised" there. It's a bit vague and wishy-washy. Were you trying to specifically connect it to the fact that dogs must be on a lead? (I'm assuming your use of "clean" was connected to the requirement to pick up dog waste.)

**As you can see from my previous sentence, I'd use "waste" there, rather than "excrement". The latter conjures up a particularly unpleasant mental image and that's just not necessary. I'd say "... dog walkers are required to clean up after their pets". Everyone will know what it means.

To answer your main question, yes, you need "the" there. You can take it to be a shortened version of "the streets of the city/the streets of NY".

Back