Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It was a big night for Taiwanese baseball players playing professionally in Japan yesterday. For the first time in almost two decades, two Taiwanese pitchers faced off against one another when the Seibu Lions’ Hsu Ming-chieh took on the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks’ Yang Yao-hsun.

The above sentences was quoted from our local TV'S web site. Why they used "faced off against one another " not used "faced off against each other" .Both of them are right?

Please tell me the correct anwser.Thank you.

Tien-sung.

From Taiwan

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It was a big night for Taiwanese baseball players playing professionally in Japan yesterday. For the first time in almost two decades, two Taiwanese pitchers faced off against one another when the Seibu Lions’ Hsu Ming-chieh took on the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks’ Yang Yao-hsun.

The above sentences was quoted from our local TV'S web site. Why they used "faced off against one another " not used "faced off against each other" .Both of them are right?

Please tell me the correct anwser.Thank you.

Tien-sung.

********** NOT a teacher **********

Hello, Tien-sung.

(1) I think that you are 100% correct.

(2) I was taught that two persons = each other.

(3) Three or more persons = one another.

(3) Many native speakers seem to make the "mistake" of

using each other for three or more persons instead of the

"correct" one another.

THANK YOU

tien-sung

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dubbed “The Legends”, the February 25-27, 2011 in Murfreesboro, TN will mark the first time that the three largest natural horsemanship clinicians in the world have faced off against one another to prove their horse training mettle. While Anderson and Cox faced off against one another in the 2007 competition, 2011 will be the first time either has stepped into the arena against Parelli.

The above sentences were also quoted from website.The first and second sentence they both used "faced off against one another "
Were they right?

Tien-sung

From Taiwan

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dubbed “The Legends”, the February 25-27, 2011 in Murfreesboro, TN will mark the first time that the three largest natural horsemanship clinicians in the world have faced off against one another to prove their horse training mettle. While Anderson and Cox faced off against one another in the 2007 competition, 2011 will be the first time either has stepped into the arena against Parelli.

The above sentences were also quoted from website.The first and second sentence they both used "faced off against one another "
Were they right?

Tien-sung

From Taiwan

********** NOT a teacher **********

Hello, Tien-sung.

(1) If we follow the "rule," I think that the first one another is

"good" English, and the second one should be each other.

(2) It seems that the website loves one another. As I said in

my first post, many Americans seem to love each other -- even

when the rules tell them not to use it.

THANK YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.