[Grammar] One sentence has two clause but no any conjunction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the case that "Useful as these tools may be" be concessive adjunct and discarded, the sentence would be "they offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention".

This is obviously not a complete sentence since antecedent is omitted, thus I don't think it's a concessive adjunct.
It's a perfectly good sentence. We just don't know what "they" refers to.

PaulMatthews

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
According to Wiki Adjunct(grammar), an adjunct is an optional part of a sentence, clause, or phrase that, if removed or discarded, will not otherwise affect the remainder of the sentence.

In the case that "
Useful as these tools may be" be concessive adjunct and discarded, the sentence would be "they offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention".

This is obviously not a complete sentence since antecedent is omitted, thus I don't think it's a concessive adjunct.

I favor TheParser's answer.

I'm well aware of what an adjunct is, thank you.

Of course it's a complete sentence. The demonstrative "these" in "these tools" is obviously anaphoric to a preceding element in the discourse, so "they" can also be anaphoric to that element.

"Useful as these tools may be" is a concessive adjunct. (Note that The Parser's source also called it a concessive, and concessives are always adjuncts.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
PaulMatthews,

I would be very grateful if you could address the question I asked in post #19. Let me rephrase it:

For what reason(s) does modern grammar describe as and though as prepositions, not conjunctions?

I look forward to hearing your answer, however brief.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
PaulMatthews,

I would be very grateful if you could address the question I asked in post #19. Let me rephrase it:

For what reason(s) does modern grammar describe as and though as prepositions, not conjunctions?

I look forward to hearing your answer, however brief.
Words' uses and meanings change because language changes.

(I'm surprised that those were ever conjuctions! But I'm not a grammarian.)

Status
Not open for further replies.