• Thread starter lasoracco
  • Start date
  • Views : 13,584
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lasoracco

Hello,

I am teaching my ELL students the order of modifiers and have run into a question I couldn't quite answer.

Granted the order of adjectives goes as follows:

size
an opinion of quality
age or temperature
shape
color
origin
material

Would this sentence be correct?

A new small black cotton sweater.

My question pertains to the order in which the word "new" comes in. I would say the above sentence is correct, but if new fits into the age category, the sentence would read as follows:

A small new black cotton sweater.

Which ones is correct? is it even relevant?

Thanks for your help,

Laura.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello,

Would this sentence be correct?

A new small black cotton sweater. It looks good to me.

My question pertains to the order in which the word "new" comes in. I would say the above sentence is correct, but if new fits into the age category, the sentence would read as follows:

A small new black cotton sweater. I wouldn't say this.

"small", "black" and "cotton" all directly describe the sweater. "new" doesn't directly describe the sweater, so "new" should not be placed within the group of three. Keep "new" in front of the other three.
Laura.

yuriya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I never realized these: a big old cat but a new compact car. FYI, myself as a learner, direct-indirect criterion may seem a bit arbitrary from person to person, at least it works for me. Thanks 2006!

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I never realized these: a big old cat but a new compact car. FYI, myself as a learner, direct-indirect criterion may seem a bit arbitrary from person to person, at least it works for me. Thanks 2006![/QUOTE

You're welcome! Maybe "directly" was not the best word to use. Perhaps I should have said that the other three words describe the physical features of the sweater. "new" does not describe its physical features, at least not in the same way.

bds51

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Germany
Hello Laura,
Normally, there are not more than 3 adjectives before the noun but if there were, where would you put purpose, nationality, numbers, temperature, and intelligence in your list. Let's say I drive a Ford. I bought it in 2005. It's air-conditioned. It's quiet. It's blue. It's metallic and it was made in China. How would you order of adjectives to describe the car? I drive a ...........

Status
Not open for further replies.