Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,
I seem to have a problem with one detail during ordering ice cream. In Polish it matters whether you use the expressions "double soop" or "two scoops" meaning that the double scoop is usually used to describe two scoops of the same flavour in a cone while two scoops can be used as two different scoops of ice cream in the same cone. Is it the same in English or you can use it interchangeably?
Thank you in advance.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,
I seem to have a problem with one detail while ordering ice cream. In Polish it matters whether you use the expressions "double scoop" or "two scoops" meaning that the double scoop is usually used to describe two scoops of the same flavour in a cone while two scoops can be used as two different scoops of ice cream in the same cone. Is it the same in English or you can use them interchangeably?
That's a little confusing, but I think you mean that you mean you use "two scoops" to mean two different flavors.

I can't tell you "double scoop" isn't used, but I have only heard "two scoops" to the best of my knowledge. If you want two different flavors, you have to make that clear.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Double" means "two". There is nothing to suggest that a double scoop of ice cream in English is of one or two flavours.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you want them both to be the same flavour, you can use either "double" or "two".

I'd like a double scoop of pistachio, please.
I'd like two scoops of pistachio, please.

If you want one scoop of one flavour and one of another, I'd use "two-scoop" as an adjective.

I'd like a two-scoop cone/bowl - one pistachio and one raspberry ripple.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In my experience of ice cream buying, 'two scoops' is invariably used to encourage people to get two different flavours when there's a wide range on offer. A 'double scoop' basically means twice the amount of a single scoop. So yes, the distinction between two scoops and a double scoop is essentially the same for me as for the OP.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I wanted two different flavors, I'd order a double cone (or cup) 'with vanilla and chocolate'. If I wanted them both the same, I'd ask for a double-dip* of mint chocolate chip (which I inevitably do).

*I tend to use 'dip' as an alternate for 'scoop', although you will hear both in AmE.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I haven't heard dip in the UK, but I do rarely eat ice cream.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've seen several ice cream shops which use the term to market their frozen yogurt/fat-free/low-fat ice cream as "skinny dips". :ROFLMAO:

Seems like a potential name for my future nude beach ice cream stand as well.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I’ve never heard ‘dip’ (in this context) in BE.

I always say ‘Two scoops of vanilla, please’.

Status
Not open for further replies.