Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is it correct to write " I used to go to office travelling by train as it is the only transportation system to avail myself ? "

Calm down, please- we are volunteers and we are in many time zones. It doesn't work for me. I would say the following:

I used to go to office by train as it was the only transportation available.

On the question of the reflexive pronoun with avail- it is correct, but I would not use it here.

Is it correct to write " I used to go to office travelling by train as it is the only transportation system to avail myself ? "

NOT A TEACHER

I checked the Web, and it seems that it is correct (and very formal) to say something like: "I used to go to work by train, as it was the only transportation of which to avail myself."

In the present-day United States, however, I doubt that anyone would ever say or write such a sentence.

NOT A TEACHER

I checked the Web, and it seems that it is correct (and very formal) to say something like: "I used to go to work by train, as it was the only transportation of which to avail myself."

In the present-day United States, however, I doubt that anyone would ever say or write such a sentence.
Yuk! God forbid!

I have never felt the need to use 'avail'. The only useful word connected with it is available.

Barman, I used to go the office by train as it was the only way for me to get there.

According to you, what is the correct usage of the reflexive pronoun " myself" in this sentence ?
"… The only transportation of which to avail myself" is grammatically correct, but a native speaker would almost never use such a complicated construction when they can just say the only kind of transportation available (if that's the idea you're trying to express).

[STRIKE]According to you,[/STRIKE] What is the correct usage of the reflexive pronoun "myself" in this sentence?

Note my corrections above.

Don't put a space after opening quotation marks. Don't put a space before a question mark.

Barman, I used to go the office by train as it was the only way for me to get there.

I guess I can jam "myself" in there. Perhaps:

I used to go to the office by train by myself. It was the only way for me to get there.

Ok. Thank you emsr2d2 for your advice. What is the correct usage??

OK. Thank you emsr2d2 for your advice. What is the correct usage?
ems showed you the correct usage by her correction in red.

To be fair to the OP, I didn't give an example of how to use "myself" in the original sentence; I simply corrected the question. Several other people have already given good advice on that.

It's ok Sir / Madam emsr2d2. How can the original sentence be written Sir /Madam? I'm eager to know your opinion.

It's OK [STRIKE]Sir / Madam[/STRIKE] emsr2d2. How can the original sentence be written [STRIKE]Sir /Madam[/STRIKE]? I'm eager to know your opinion.
See posts 2. 4 and 7 for examples of how the original sentence can be rewritten.

Stop writing "Sir/Madam". You're not writing a formal letter to someone you don't know. If you want to mention one of us, just use the username.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back