Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
When you are not busy, would you please help me with this? I don't understand exactly the use of "over several decades". Does it work like an adjective and modify what it follows? Does it modify "the work of many scientists" here?

"This book owes its inspiration to the work of many scientists over several decades, who have been trying so hard to unravel mysteries of the black hole and its relevance to the universe in which we live."

http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2008/04/black-holes-at-lhc-again.html

Thank you."

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: over several decades?

When you are not busy, would you please help me with this? I don't understand exactly the use of "over several decades". Does it work like an adjective and modify what it follows? Does it modify "the work of many scientists" here?

"This book owes its inspiration to the work of many scientists over several decades, who have been trying so hard to unravel mysteries of the black hole and its relevance to the universe in which we live."

http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2008/04/black-holes-at-lhc-again.html

[STRIKE]Thank you.[/STRIKE]

the work of many scientists over several decades - the work of many scientists that took place over several decades

Last edited by a moderator:

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Re: over several decades?

But is the original correct, or is it poorly written, at least isn't it vague? Isn't the position of relative pronoun problematic? Should the relative pronoun who follow directly "many scientist" not "over several decades", as in this example?

"This book owes its inspiration to the work that took place over several decades by many scientists who have been trying to unravel mysteries of the black hole and its relevanc to the universe in which we live.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It isn't vague at all. Many scientists worked on it, and the work took place over several decades. (It isn't easy acquiring such information. Nature doesn't always give up its secrets readily.)

The word "who" clearly refers to the scientists.

You seem to think your rewrite improves on the original. I don't agree.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would not use took place because the work has not finished.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Perhaps it will help you understand if I add an extra verb:

the work of many scientists [done] over several decades

Now you can see more clearly how the red part modifies the blue part. The work was done over several decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.