paper cutting equipment ,laminating machine

Not open for further replies.


Key Member
Nov 6, 2006
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

1) I overheard one pointed to the paper cutting equipment and named it "sounds like skeleton". The description of the equipment as follow:

  • long and set on table
  • having a handle in square fixing above a long piece of clear plastic bar
  • the square handle can be slided freely from right to left vv to cut the paper or trim the laminated document
  • clear plastic bar : for stablising the paper underneath for cutting
  • I saw it in schools and the shops offering bulk photocopying, printing and laminating service
May I know the name of that equipment.


2) May I know the name of the laminating machine? Shall I call it ’laminator‘? I can't find the word ’laminator‘ in dictionary。

Tks / ju
Paper trimmer is for normal office use. Guillotine is for industrial use where they cut thick reams of papers at a time using a huge blade.

Laminating machine is just laminating machine. I don't think there is a shorter name.
In British English, a guillotine doesn't have to be for industrial use- we use the term for ones in a office too. If they have a blade on an arm, they're guillotines.
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)