passive- are these sentences ok without using the word "being"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominik92

Member Type
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello all.

Am I right that the sentences I give below do not have to include "being"?

A new balls are delivered every month.

Every year a new house is built in our small town. There already live too many people so we can hardly know each other very well.

All those topics are discussed by politics but I think it's just waste of time. They should do something more useful than discuss the same topics over and over again.

Thanks a lot

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello all.

Am I right that the sentences I [STRIKE]give[/STRIKE] have written below do not have to include "being"?

[STRIKE] A [/STRIKE] New balls are delivered every month.

Every year a new house is built in our small town. [STRIKE]There already live[/STRIKE] Too many people live there already so we can't [STRIKE]hardly[/STRIKE] get to know each other very well.

All those topics are discussed by [STRIKE]politics[/STRIKE] politicians but I think it's just a waste of time. They should do something more useful than discuss the same topics over and over again.

Thanks a lot

You are right that none of them needs any form of "being". However, please note my corrections, marked in red.

Dominik92

Member Type
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you very much.

Is it really a mistake to write: "sentences I give below..." ? I have seen it many times from native speakers!

If I wrote: There live too many people so we hardly can know each other very well - would that be acceptable?

But back to the main question.

I have found this sentnece in my textbook.

- A new house is built in our street.

I would prefer to say :

1) A new house has been built in our street
2) A new house is being built in our street.

Or: The most historical building is built in our town.

But the original sentence sound strange to me.

How do you feel about the original sentence and my examples?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much.

Is it really a mistake to write: "sentences I give below..." ? I have seen it many times from native speakers!l
It's extremely unnatural for me. I might write something like "I have given you some example sentences below".

If I wrote: There live too many people so we hardly can know each other very well - would that be acceptable?
It wouldn't be acceptable to me, no. "There live ..." is unnatural. Using "too" doesn't work with the rest of your sentence and "we hardly can know each other well" uses poor word positioning and is an unnatural way of saying it.

But back to the main question.

I have found this sentence in my textbook.

- A new house is built in our street.
Which textbook is this from? It's unnatural to use "is built" here. It's fine if followed by "each week/every month etc".

I would prefer to say :

1) A new house has been built in our street. :tick: (The house has been finished.)
2) A new house is being built in our street. :tick: (Construction of the house is still in progress.)

This is unnatural. If it's a historical building, it was built a long time ago. You could say "The most historical building in the country is in our town".

But the original sentence sounds strange to me.

How do you feel about the original sentence and my examples?
The fact that I changed/corrected them all should give you a clue as to how I feel about them.

See my comments above, in red.

Dominik92

Member Type
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This is unnatural. If it's a historical building, it was built a long time ago. You could say "The most historical building in the country is in our town".

I wanted to say that the building was built but e.g. it has not been destroyed yet - therefore I used "is built" - you still can go and visit that building if you want.

Similar sentence would be: The record is set really high but it doesn´t mean that there won´t be a player....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you want to make it clear that a building has not been destroyed and can be visited, you could say something like "A historically important building still stands in our town".

Status
Not open for further replies.