Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi.

I extracted the paragraphs below from a local newspaper article.

#1 - "Australia had enjoyed early success in crushing the curve of virus cases by shutting its international
border as well as implementing social distancing measures and a wide-spread testing and tracing regime."

#2 - "He had pleaded guilty in March this year to two counts each of molestation and insulting a woman's modesty"

#1 - I do not understand the use of the past perfect tense here as I do not see an "earlier past" in this sentence
and therefore the need to distinguish the order of events.

#2 - I always understand that when specific time is given, the correct tense should always be simple past. In this sentence, "March" was mentioned so
should it not be He "pleaded" guilty instead?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Previous context drove the writer's choice in both sentences. The rule you cite in #2 is not correct.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
GoesStation

I don't think my answer was incorrect.

I don't think the pleading guilty happened before March (which you think it did), so I don't think I was wrong in saying that the past perfect tense should not have been used. I have seen such mistakes in the local newspapers.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think my answer was incorrect.

I don't think the pleading guilty happened before March (which you think it did), so I don't think I was wrong in saying that the past perfect tense should not have been used. I have seen such mistakes in the local newspapers.
The sentence says the plead happened in March and that this was earlier than the time of an event discussed in a previous sentence. The original post doesn't contain enough context to determine whether the tense is used correctly.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The sentence says the plead happened in March and that this was earlier than the time of an event discussed in a previous sentence. The original post doesn't contain enough context to determine whether the tense is used correctly.

Well, let Danau post the text before the sentence in question then. If the plead happened in March, earlier than the time of the event discussed, would the past perfect still be correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, let Danau post the text before the sentence in question then. If the plead happened in March, earlier than the time of the event discussed, would the past perfect still be correct?

It could be.

DANAU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Well, let Danau post the text before the sentence in question then.

Sharing earlier paragraphs for your reference.

"Melbourne's travails also provide a cautionary tale for other big, service economy-driven cities such as London that are reopening pubs and restaurants in a bid to jump-start their crippled economies.

Australia
had enjoyed early success in crushing the curve of virus cases by shutting its international
border as well as implementing social distancing measures and a wide-spread testing and tracing regime."

"He had done so on the pretext of performing rituals on time.

SH Toh, 66, also took videos of the victims' exposed bodies.

He had pleaded guilty in March this year to two counts each of molestation and insulting a woman's modesty."

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"He had done so on the pretext of performing rituals on time.

SH Toh, 66, also took videos of the victims' exposed bodies.

He had pleaded guilty in March this year to two counts each of molestation and insulting a woman's modesty."

GStation
Is it justified to use the past perfect tense above? I don't think so.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
GStation
Is it justified to use the past perfect tense above? I don't think so.

I'm afraid we still need more context to know.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The sentence says the plead happened in March
I'm sure GS meant to write "pleading" instead.

and that this was earlier than the time of an event discussed in a previous sentence. The original post doesn't contain enough context to determine whether the tense is used correctly.
Right. In fact, I searched on the Web and found the website from which those sentences were taken.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/a...n-will-be-catastrophic-for-hospitality-sector
and
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...aler-jailed-15-months-for-molesting-two-women

Danau, in future, please provide a link to such quoted sentences. Can you see how the first sentence in both articles is in the past simple tense? That is what is used as a reference, such that the past perfect is used for prior actions/events.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)