Past Perfect, without any past tense linked to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Hello!

I've got a small problem with Past Perfect tense. Normally I know how to apply Past Perfect into the sentence. But the problem occurs when there is no past tense linked to the past perfect sentence.

For example (dialogue):
Author : Charles Staples, Video game : The Outer Worlds.
Xero : That being said, we need to think of a strategy starting tonight. Zero, you'll be staying here today right?
Zero : Yes, that is what I had planned to do. I've even prepared some bedding for that purpose!

Of course there is Present Perfect, but I don't know if this Past Perfect is necessary here.

Or

Author R.D Wingfield, Book : Frost at Christmas
Teacher : "What's with that sulky look? You realize I'm going out of my way to time for you, right? You're just getting what you deserve if you hadn't done something so crazy ..."
Student (in mind) : "He was right I was the one crazy".

Or

Author : Christie Golden, Book: World of Warcraft, Before the Storm.
It's fine. I had given up right from the start.

I don't really get it why past perfect was used here.
Like I said I know the definition of Past Perfect tense:

- to emphesize that the activity happened before another activity in the past

- in reported speach

How do these principles apply to these sentences?

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello!

I've got a small problem with the past perfect tense. Normally I know how to apply past perfect to a sentence. But the problem occurs when there is no past tense linked to the past perfect sentence.

For example (dialogue):

Xero : That being said, we need to think of a strategy starting tonight. Zero, you'll be staying here today, right?
Zero : Yes, that is what I had planned to do. I've even prepared some bedding for that purpose!

Of course there is present perfect, but I don't know if this past perfect is necessary here.

It's correct as you wrote it.

Or

Teacher : "What's with that sulky look? You realize I'm going out of my way to make time for you, right? You're just getting what you deserve. If you hadn't done something so crazy ..."
Student (to herself)[no space]: "He is right. It was [STRIKE]the one[/STRIKE] crazy".

Or

I don't really get [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] why past perfect was used here.

Like I said, I know the purpose of the past perfect tense: to emphesize that the activity happened before another activity in the past.

[STRIKE]- in reported speach[/STRIKE]

How
do these principles apply to these sentences?
You're using the past perfect correctly.

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
You're using the past perfect correctly.

It's not me, those are the sentences I've found while reading some books.
I just don't underestand why the past perfect here is used like that?

Some of those examples didn't any other past action that happened after the past perfect action like in 2nd or 3rd example.

It's not even a reported speech, so I don't know why.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Xenon

When you quote from published material you MUST tell us the source and author, EVERY time in post #1. Consider this a friendly warning.

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Xenon

When you quote from published material you MUST tell us the source and author, EVERY time in post #1. Consider this a friendly warning.

I've already edited.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I've got a [STRIKE]small problem with[/STRIKE] a question about the past perfect tense.
Note:
1- The capitalization correction.
2- The use of "the"; "tense" is a singular countable noun.

Normally I know how to [STRIKE]apply Past Perfect into the[/STRIKE] use it in a sentence, but [STRIKE]the problem occurs when[/STRIKE] I don't understand why it's used in the following, given that there is no past tense linked to the past perfect sentence.
For example (dialogue):
Author : Charles Staples, Video game : The Outer Worlds.
Xero : That being said, we need to think of a strategy starting tonight. Zero, you'll be staying here today right?
"Had planned to do" means "had planned to stay here before I came here".

Author R.D Wingfield, Book : Frost at Christmas
Teacher : "What's with that sulky look? You realize I'm going out of my way to time for you, right? You're just getting what you deserve if you hadn't done something so crazy ..."
Student (in mind) : "He was right I was the one crazy".
That's poorly phrased and badly punctuated. In any case, it appears to using a third-conditional structure, and more context is needed to determine what possible past action is being referenced.

Author : Christie Golden, Book: World of Warcraft, Before the Storm.
Again, more context is needed.

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Note:
1- The capitalization correction.
2- The use of "the"; "tense" is a singular countable noun.

"Had planned to do" means "had planned to stay here before I came here".

That's poorly phrased and badly punctuated. In any case, it appears to using a third-conditional structure, and more context is needed to determine what possible past action is being referenced.

Again, more context is needed.

The problem is that fragment of a dialog from "Author R.D Wingfield, Book : Frost at Christmas", it was the whole dialog. There is no more to add.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The problem is that's fragment of a dialog from "Author R.D Wingfield, Book : Frost at Christmas". It was the whole dialog. There is no more to add.
You can always buy the book if you're that interested.
When does your teacher expect you to submit that task?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Also answered here.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Xenon, please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.

Status
Not open for further replies.