Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"The government will not fail to make its interest payments on time or that it will not pay back the bond principal on the due date."

So it's always "pay back the bond principal"? Can I say "according to the bond principle"? Can I use the plural for "the bond principal" as "pay back bond principals"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. "According" does not mean "to pay back." And this sentence (which does not seem to make a lot of sense) is talking about a bond, not plural bonds.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please note that you are mixing up the two words principal and principle.

The principal of a bond is the capital sum (not the interest). If you take a loan for $1000, then $1000 is the principal.

You pay back the principal as well as the interest.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No. "According" does not mean "to pay back." And this sentence (which does not seem to make a lot of sense) is talking about a bond, not plural bonds.

Sorry. I meant "pay back according to the bond principal".

"For example in the U.S. bonds issued by the government are considered to have very low risk because investors consider it very unlikely that the government will fail to make its interest payments on time or that it will not pay back the bond principal on the due date."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. It's not a concept, an idea, a "principle." It is a simple noun, the "principal," which is the amount of money you have borrowed. You pay back the principal.

Status
Not open for further replies.