Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Most enterprises and companies in Russia offer their employees the following schedule: they work 8h a day five days a week and then have two days off. The sphere of various services can have a different schedule, but I suggest we won't be considering it in this post. When a person has an 8h working day he may sometimes need to go to work on Saturday or/and Sunday. It happens when there is some urgent work to do or he just needs to work more to do the work on time.

What do you call the money an employee receives for working extra hours (it's not salary, I think, as salary is paid for regular work 8h a day and five days a week)?

Can we call it "overtime pay"?

E.g,. "He received an overtime pay for having worked seven days the previous week", "In order to work overtime and get an overtime pay you have to agree it with your boss".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, overtime pay. You get overtime pay for the hours you work past your normal hours. It goes on your regular check. Unless you're a salaried employee your supervisor has to ask you if you want to work overtime before that happens.

You get overtime pay when you work overtime. 😊

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, overtime pay. You get overtime pay for the hours you work past your normal hours. It goes on your regular check. Unless you're a salaried employee your supervisor has to ask you if you want to work overtime before that happens.

You get overtime pay when you work overtime. 😊

Yes, I agree, that a boss has to ask his employees if they're ready to work overtime (in this case they gain overtime pay).

One of my friends would work overtime several times a few years ago and he had no objections to it (he realized that there wasn't enough time during the week to complete the project task on time) and therefore there weren't any discussions about it with his boss. In fact, I didn't think that a boss always had to agree it with an employee. In other words it can sometimes be necessary or even urgent, but, of course, an employee should be ready for overtime work as he sacrifices his days-off in this case.

As for me, I work at the university and my schedule is usually quite flexible. Hardly do I remember the cases when I worked overtime. However, a few years ago I had classes on Saturdays with my foreign students, but I was paid for that, of course, and it wasn't considered overtime work.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't normally object to having to work overtime, because we get paid for it. Not only do we get paid, but we get paid more than usual.

**agree to it

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
We don't normally object to having to work overtime, because we get paid for it. Not only do we get paid, but we get paid more than usual.

**agree to it
Yes, you're absolutely right about the amount of money you get paid when working overtime. After your post I've remembered my friend's stories regarding this. Even so, to work overtime is in most cases a challenge as most people prefer to relax on Saturdays and Sundays

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even so, in most cases, to working overtime is in most cases a challenge as most people prefer to relax on Saturdays and Sundays.
Remember that overtime doesn't apply only to working weekends (or whatever someone's usual days off are). It can refer to any hours over and above your standard working day/week. If you normally work from 9am to 5pm and one day you work until 6.30pm, you've done 1.5 hours' overtime.